Firmware update

Reaction score
I’ve downloaded the latest firmware but every time I try install it, it stops and fails at 40%!
Why?? And how can I put it right because the tiny camera status light stays red and the drone constantly buzz’s!
Thanks in advance guys.

Does it actually say it failed?
How long does it take?

I would try to go back to what you had if it worked.

Rod

Reactions: The Blades
I’ve downloaded the latest firmware but every time I try install it, it stops and fails at 40%!
Why?? And how can I put it right because the tiny camera status light stays red and the drone constantly buzz’s!
Thanks in advance guys.

Mine took a long time also but I just left it alone. I let it beep and buzz away. Ensure you have a full battery, follow the guidelines exactly and ensure you’ve good reception / connection. My update took a good hour or so. Good luck.

If you mean the dreaded beeping? Like staed in the post above. Start over, it will beep till your ears can't take it!!!! I've stuck them in the clothes dryer(dryer off of course). I've even taken them out of the house and put them in the trunk of my car and went back for them 45 min later. Try the download again, suffer through the beeping, sometimes it seems like forever!!!!!! Up to 45min or so I never really timed it.. I'm not sure how long it takes exactly, that's how long I walk away from them for, and it's usually done when I get back unless I did it wrong......Then try again if beeping won't stop!:)

The first time this happened to me, my wife thought the smoke alarm in the house was going off!!:)

Last edited:
I've stuck them in the clothes dryer(dryer off of course). I've even taken them out of the house and put them in the trunk of my car and went back for them 45 min later. Try the download again, suffer through the beeping, sometimes it seems like forever!!!!!! Up to 45min or so. I'm not sure exactly that's how long I walk away from them for, and it's usually done when I get back unless I did it wrong......Then try again if beeping won't stop!

Been there, done that. I had the same problem the first time I tried to update the firmware. The update got stuck halfway through the process and failed, and the Phantom just kept on screeching. I put it in an insulated foam case in my hatchback to try and stop the noise, but you could still hear it. After an hour of screeching, I finally cancelled the download and then restarted it. The second update attempt completed successfully after roughly 20 minutes and the screeching finally stopped. Thank you God! That was the first and last time I ever updated the firmware, and my P3S performs flawlessly with exceptional distance. But that rentless screeching, yeah, that will drive you out of your mind. Good luck.

Last edited:
Been there, done that. I had the same problem the first time I tried to update the firmware. The update got stuck halfway through the process and failed, and the Phantom just kept on screeching. I put it in an insulated foam case in my hatchback to try and stop the noise, but you could still hear it. After an hour of screeching, I finally cancelled the download and then restarted it. The second update attempt completed successfully after roughly 20 minutes and the screeching finally stopped. Thank you God! That was the first and last time I ever updated the firmware, and my P3S performs flawlessly with exceptional distance. But that rentless screeching, yeah, that will drive you out of your mind. Good luck.

The last time it happened to me was about 3am. I'm trying to be super quiet, working on my toys when I should be sleeping. My wife and 3 year old are sleeping in the next room and.......BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...... I couldn't get the thing turned off fast enough...Ya...I slept on the couch that night too...With my toys!!(better clarify, my toy drones!!!):)

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP...... I couldn't get the thing turned off fast enough..

I know, right? The first 15 - 20 minutes was bad enough. At 30 minutes, I'm trying to find the #%*!@*% volume control to turn the stupid screeching off. Ok, so I was new at this. But then it's 45 minutes later, and it's still screeching away with no end in sight. At 60 minutes, I'm thinking, if this don't end really soon I'm gonna either bury this thing where nobody will ever find it, or shoot it and put it out of its misery. Then I Googled "Phantom update process", found out the update is only supposed to take 20 minutes to complete, and decided to pull the plug just to shut it up. I swore that if I ever got it successfully updated, I'd never try that stunt again. Well, I finally got it updated. That was over a year ago, and my P3S has performed flawlessly since then without any further updates.

Does it actually say it failed?
How long does it take?

I would try to go back to what you had if it worked.

Rod

Hi Rod, yes it actually says it’s failed.

Also, if I don’t try to install it, the red light comes on and that constant beeping starts all over again.

Hi all, so it appears it’s a common problem.

It won’t let me ignore it. The red light comes on and the beeping starts all over again.
Every time, it fails, it try again. It fails, beeping.........

Hi all, so it appears it’s a common problem.

It won’t let me ignore it. The red light comes on and the beeping starts all over again.
Every time, it fails, it try again. It fails, beeping.........

Yes, It's common. The very first Phantom 3 Standard that I bought was from a store. It was returned because of the beeping and nothing worked. I bought the thing stupid cheap for $35. As "damaged, for parts". I've bought tons of stuff cheap because of how difficult they make the firmware updating on some products. 3d printers,cool toys, drones,etc.... Companies really need to make this easier!! There is a ton of money lost out there because of this.!!! Some of us just want to play with our toys!! Not learn how to program!!! hahaha

Off hand I can't remember the exact steps to fix this on the Standard.

You have to redo all of the steps while it's beeping........., screaming at you.
Use a fully charged battery,Erase SD card, format,Put update on sd card again, stick the card in the drone, turn drone on only, and let it beep for an hour. I may be missing a step in there...Follow the steps on the DJI firmware update site to the word.

I failed the first 2 tries, before I figured it out. I remember it being a pain since I had no idea where the file was even going in my computer...Then trying to find the sd card in my computer...I hate windows 10 too, but that's a different rant...haha

Last edited:
@The Blades,
Why I asked about does it say it failed, I was wondering what was stated when you look at the SD card after it fails, there is a log file there listing more confusing stuff. :rolleyes:

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31