Firmware update won't initialize. Help?

Reaction score
Been messsing with this in my limited free time for a few days-now I have some time off and need help:
I've copied/downloaded the latest firmware update for my P3P on two different microSD cards, uninstalled the downloads of my laptop and PC, reinstalled on the SD card, etc. but I can't get the Phantom to start the update. Nothing happens when I put the card in the gimbal and start the drone - just sits there and flashes yellow LEDs at me, and the gimbal light stays solid green.
Previous upgrades didn't have problems. Help!?

What do you see on the TXT file? If you don't see a TXT file, then check that the BIN is in the root of your memory card.

What do you see on the TXT file? If you don't see a TXT file, then check that the BIN is in the root of your memory card.
Yes, the file is there. I thought I had a bad card and spent money to buy a new micro SD card - both are loaded with the update (BIN file is there), but when I put the card(s) back in the gimbal and start the drone - nothing.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times over the past 3 days in my free time, but nothing has made a difference.

This sounds strange I know, but some have had luck by putting the .bin file on the SD card via copy/paste after it failed for them by using drag/drop. A long shot, but wanted to throw it out there just in case.

Remove EVERYthing off the card and then place only the firmware on it. The xxx.bin file only.
Power on the aircraft. The download begins when you hear 4 consecutive beeps. It has finished when it changes to 3 beeps. It could take over 5 mins before the 4 beep process starts.

Remove EVERYthing off the card and then place only the firmware on it. The xxx.bin file only.
Power on the aircraft. The download begins when you hear 4 consecutive beeps. It has finished when it changes to 3 beeps. It could take over 5 mins before the 4 beep process starts.
Oh yeah, I stripped everything off the original card, just the BIN file on it, did the same with the 2nd, new card. Seems like the past firmware initiated immediately, and perhaps that is the problem here, I'm not waiting long enough? I will time it...lol. It seems like I've waited for 5 minutes, but in my impatience it may have only been a few minutes.

I turned on the P3P and timed it for 25 minutes. The update did not initiate. I guess I'll be on the phone trying to get through to DJI support tomorrow.

I turned on the P3P and timed it for 25 minutes. The update did not initiate. I guess I'll be on the phone trying to get through to DJI support tomorrow.
Did you try what I suggested?

also may be bad download file too, redownload and try again and make sure use yr PC format sd card as fat32.

I had same problem, then realized I was putting the bin file FOLDER on the SD card. When I put the bin FILE without the folder it started and installed, everything works great

This sounds strange I know, but some have had luck by putting the .bin file on the SD card via copy/paste after it failed for them by using drag/drop. A long shot, but wanted to throw it out there just in case.
Sorry, yes, I've tried both copy/paste and drag drop. I've tried both going directly from my Surface Pro to its micro SD card reader. I've tried both ways with a USB to microSD card reader, on the Surface Pro, my Asus laptop, and an HP desktop, and I've tried both methods using the standard SD card adapter that came with the new micro SD card on both the laptop and PC.
I'm out of ideas

Reactions: Oso
Hope you find a solution, don't expect help from DJI they don't answer phone or email. You might try the DJI.com community forum

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Long shot - make sure the RC is off, and remains off during the update process - make sure you have the correct update - on another forum a guy was trying to update a P3A with the P3S firmware - lastly, make sure the .bin file has the right permissions to execute.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir - but I know it sucks when you can't get it to work. Good luck!

It is updating! Not sure what I tried this time different, but something, or a combination of things got it to initiate the update. I tried formatting the card from the GO app, which someone suggested elsewhere, then I cleared out the P3 files on the SurfacePro and downloaded the update again. Dragged and dropped only the BIN file onto the newly formatted card, and it worked! I think the only thing new here in these steps was using the app to format the SD card.
Oh well, it is updating and that is what matters.

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions.

It is updating! Not sure what I tried this time different, but something, or a combination of things got it to initiate the update. I tried formatting the card from the GO app, which someone suggested elsewhere, then I cleared out the P3 files on the SurfacePro and downloaded the update again. Dragged and dropped only the BIN file onto the newly formatted card, and it worked! I think the only thing new here in these steps was using the app to format the SD card.
Oh well, it is updating and that is what matters.

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions.
Great news.

Shoot, I do recall a couple of people who got it to work by formatting with the app. Sorry I didn't think of that sooner. Maybe it would have saved you some frustration. Cheers!

Finally! Good deal...

Finally! Good deal...

LOL, have you tried DJI's new and improved customer support? You dial a number in LA and get a recording that thanks you for calling DJI, informs you that they are experiencing a higher than normal amount of calls, and then the recording asks you to call back "at a later time" before hanging up on you.
That is why we have these forums, for "customer support," trouble shooting, and finding a resolution to the problem. I will always try this route first with DJI products, then as a last resort, try getting through to customer service. In the past, my experience has been that banging your head against a wall is just as effective as DJI customer support...heh.

There has been a lot of complaining about the P3 area of the forum being a mess to navigate with post in the wrong areas, etc.
Please be sure and post in the correct areas to keep things organized and to help the search function to work better.

There is a section here just for 'firmware help' so thats where I moved it ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic