Firmware 1.5 Increased video bit rate

Reaction score
Check your video meta data.

2.7 k and 1080p now uses a 60mbps bit rate EVEN on the Advanced model which used to be capped at 40mbps.

Not mentioned in the release notes, so maybe a goof by DJI? I hope they don't take it back in the next release.

2.7 k and 1080p now uses a 60mbps bit rate EVEN on the Advanced model which used to be capped at 40mbps.

Not mentioned in the release notes, so maybe a goof by DJI? I hope they don't take it back in the next release.
Dave, I saw this yesterday but forgot to ask something. Do you know if there was also a change at all to the video downlink bit rate, or is it still 10 for the Pro and 2 for the Adv?

Dave, I saw this yesterday but forgot to ask something. Do you know if there was also a change at all to the video downlink bit rate, or is it still 10 for the Pro and 2 for the Adv?
That is a good question.. I just looked at a cached video and it is still at <2mbps on my P3A. But I did not check the settings in the HD Downlink in Go to see what it is set at or if it makes a difference. But I will next time unless someone beats me to it.

It was my understanding that the max bit rate for recording on the Advanced was 40mbps and that it was hardware, and not software limited. This increase kind of says that it is software dependent after all.

Did another test today, and sadly, the HD live video still seems to be ~2mbps bit rate.
The Pro model is still the choice for HD FPV.

Did another test today, and sadly, the HD live video still seems to be ~2mbps bit rate.
The Pro model is still the choice for HD FPV.
Bummer. Thanks for following up that sir.

Forgive my question, due to my poor videography background..
Is 2 Mbps affecting the ability to correctly choose the setting for taking the best photos (and video)?
Or it show "just" a less crisp image on fpv?

Forgive my question, due to my poor videography background..
Is 2 Mbps affecting the ability to correctly choose the setting for taking the best photos (and video)?
Or it show "just" a less crisp image on fpv?
In this case the 2Mbps reference is the video downlink (FPV) quality only. The P3A has a max possible FPV of 2Mbps. The P3P has a max possible FPV of 10Mbps.

The actual video recorded on the SD card has a much higher maximum bit rate.

English is not my native tongue..
I'll try to explain. :)

I'm planning to buy a P3, currently weighing between pro and advanced.
I'm more a photography guy, and as far as i know the photographic "compartment" is the same.
In Italy 4K tvs and 4K in general is not yet so common, so i thought that i could go for the advanced.
I've understood that another difference is the battery charger, more powerful on the pro.
And this difference of the downlink bitrate.

So...

Do you think that 2Mbps can generally make my photography more complicated?
I'll need to view the scene, compose the framing, understand higlights and shadows, setting the shutter speed, choose which nd filter put on and so on.
Is the higher resolution so important in these tasks?
Or it's "just" a more fluid, crisp and richer fpv stream but i'll can live with that?

English is not my native tongue..
I'll try to explain. :)

I'm planning to buy a P3, currently weighing between pro and advanced.
I'm more a photography guy, and as far as i know the photographic "compartment" is the same.
In Italy 4K tvs and 4K in general is not yet so common, so i thought that i could go for the advanced.
I've understood that another difference is the battery charger, more powerful on the pro.
And this difference of the downlink bitrate.

So...

Do you think that 2Mbps can generally make my photography more complicated?
I'll need to view the scene, compose the framing, understand higlights and shadows, setting the shutter speed, choose which nd filter put on and so on.
Is the higher resolution so important in these tasks?
Or it's "just" a more fluid, crisp and richer fpv stream but i'll can live with that?
In my opinion, you would still be able to fully use all features well with the 2Mbps FPV of the P3A. Most complaints that I have seen are from people who use FPV goggles with the P3A.

In my opinion, you would still be able to fully use all features well with the 2Mbps FPV of the P3A. Most complaints that I have seen are from people who use FPV goggles with the P3A.
Thanks, sir!
I'm prone to choose the advanced and spend that extra bucks on batteries, filters, etc etc o_O

@Dave Pitman Would you consider uploading a short 2-3 sec video in 2.7k on dropbox or likewise so I can check the bitrate ? I would need the original footage.
Cheers!

And again, you did note the original post was almost a year ago - Dec 15 - and there's been around 4 FW updates since then?

And again @Numone there is no reason for DJi to reduce recording bitrates.
There is a post from a user who contributed the output of mediainfo for 1080p60
This confirms 60mbps for 1080p60
60mbps on 2.7k would place the compression at the level of Hero 4 Black and would help me decide on my drone :)

And again @Numone there is no reason for DJi to reduce recording bitrates.
There is a post from a user who contributed the output of mediainfo for 1080p60
This confirms 60mbps for 1080p60
60mbps on 2.7k would place the compression at the level of Hero 4 Black and would help me decide on my drone :)
AFAIK, they're 40 Mbps on the Advanced and 60 Mbps on the Pro.

I honestly don't believe you'll notice that much and with respect, these are not pro spec cameras (and neither are the GoPros for that matter). They all have tiny sensors and pretty poor optics. But if I was in the market this year for a new UAV, I'd be ordering a Mavic, for the sheer portability, great functionality and cheaper batteries. With my investment in a P3A and another £500 investment in four more batteries, I'll be waiting for the P5 or 6 before another upgrade.

@Dave Pitman Would you consider uploading a short 2-3 sec video in 2.7k on dropbox or likewise so I can check the bitrate ? I would need the original footage.
Cheers!

Wow, that's weird. Haven't been in here in awhile and you ask me a question today. One of us should go get a lotto ticket !

Anyway, just checked my p3a at 2.7k/30fps bit rate is ~46mbps. 1080/60fps bit rate is ~ 61mbps.

2.7k.png 1080.png

Just a very quick comparison with the p3a sitting on the porch. Grabbing a similar frame from each of the above clips with only scaling done to make them close to the same size, I think the 1080 @ 60mbps is a little sharper. (note that the camera was set to d-log and soft on both clips. And no post editing was done to either pic).

It seems to me that you are getting higher resolution, but also at greater compression with the 2.7k. I think that less compression wins in my quick and dirty comparison. But they are pretty close. If you need the higher resolution, I don't think you will loose much if any.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 271

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers