firework videos look terrible!!!

Reaction score
I went out and shot the 4th of July fireworks and all I got in return was a whole lot of white noise all over the picture anyone have any suggestions or ideas on settings for shooting at night would appreciate it the strange thing is the white noise would disappear right in the area where a fire work would bloom then slowly start to fill the screen back in again any help would be appreciated :)

ftimster said:
I went out and shot the 4th of July fireworks and all I got in return was a whole lot of white noise all over the picture anyone have any suggestions or ideas on settings for shooting at night would appreciate it the strange thing is the white noise would disappear right in the area where a fire work would bloom then slowly start to fill the screen back in again any help would be appreciated :)

I recorded fireworks tonight, and think it turned out pretty good (video is processing on YouTube now). I just used the default auto settings. I did notice that every once in a while the video would take on a bluish tinge when certain color fireworks went off, but then it came back automatically. When my video finishes I will post it and you can see how it compares to your own.

I headed down to Baltimore's Inner Harbor tonight to capture some fireworks video for the 4th of July. I almost decided not to go but, at the last minute, decided I should because it would be a year before the opportunity arose again. The inner harbor was not my first choice. I would have much preferred Oregon Ridge as it is a better venue, they have choreographed music, and they have a much longer and elaborate display. Oregon Ridge would have been doubly cool because last night's show was cancelled, so they had two days worth of fireworks ready to launch. Had I a backpack for my Phantom, I probably would have headed to Oregon Ridge. With my GoProfessional hard case, I figured I would get a lot of scrutiny waltzing in with a case that looked like I was carrying a nuclear bomb.

I initially hit the Rusty Scupper/Rash Field parking area, where it cost me $15 for the 15-20 minutes I was there. The place was packed with people, crawling with cops, and there were two helicopters and a light plane flying overhead. I spoke with a couple of cops about flying my Phantom. They both thought it was cool, but didn't think it was a good idea because of the huge crowd. So I packed up and drove a mile or so down the road behind Domino Sugar. There I found a huge & almost deserted parking lot that was perfectly suited to my low-key Phantom deployment.. Lots of space, few people, no cops, and the aircraft were no where near. On top of that, I was actually closer to the fireworks barge!

I forgot my electrical tape to black out the front LEDs, but I am still pleased with how this turned out. Early on, I had to descend because a helicopter was heading in my direction. I wasn't sure where he was heading, and I didn't want to take any chances. I realized he was just doing a circular pattern over my prior location. Now, just so you know, I was expecting them to do TWO waves of fireworks like they did the last time I was here. On the second wave, I was planning on going INTO the heart of the bursts. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately...lol), they only did a single 15 minute display this year.

2014 Fireworks @ Baltimore's Inner Harbor:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GjMXHdL4Q[/youtube]

Dirty Bird said:
I recorded fireworks tonight, and think it turned out pretty good (video is processing on YouTube now). I just used the default auto settings. I did notice that every once in a while the video would take on a bluish tinge when certain color fireworks went off, but then it came back automatically. When my video finishes I will post it and you can see how it compares to your own.

Default auto settings for what mode? What fps and fov settings did you use?
Looks pretty good I think. I notice the leds in the beginning but not so much once you're in the air. I'm debating blacking mine out but I'm afraid to lose sight of it when it comes time to bring it home. I plan on being far away from the crowds but I also don't want to draw attention to the copter either. I'm wondering if I'll be okay, blacking out the red completely and partially blacking out the green to keep a lower profile but still able to see it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31