Firebug OSD Ghost

Reaction score
Has anyone coonected a Firebug OSD Ghost to their DJI Phantom with a gopro and gimbal? If so what is your impression. I am loooking for an OSD but everything seems vague with support, compatibilty and instructions for my setup

I installed a Skylark Tiny OSD III and love it. It has it's own GPS so no need to connect to the Phantom GPS. It's got distance and direction to home, accurate altitude, GPS coordinates on reply, milliamps used (more useful than timing the flight), voltage, speed.
I've logged how many milliamps it takes to fly back from 1600 ft out so I can just watch the total used to figure out when to come home. Pretty easy to install and only costs around $110.

That sounds amazing. I will look into it, and probably buy it sounds great
Does it have home direction as well. Also the distance is that line of signt between the trnasmitter and receiver, or is ground distance to home? I would like to find linear distance between transmitter and receiver but I don't think thse osd's do that. I guess there is no signal strength between transmitter and receiver, that would be great too keep you from flying out of range.

Since it's calculating distance from the Skylark gps to the home position I'd have to guess it is linear, including the altitude - but I don't know for sure. I use the "simple" mode that has a clear direction arrow with the distance at the bottom of the screen. In the "F16" mode you have the gps coordinates shown - that mode didn't look as easy to determine direction to home.

I'd steer clear of FBOSD. From my short dealings with him, Jay (the creator) is a really great guy and got REALLY far with tweeking the kinks out of it but it consumed his life and he had to give it up. I didn't own/buy an FBOSD but I talked to him about a non related NAZA query. It sounds like he is still helping where he can but he confessed in the 50+ thread on RCgroups that he never felt it was a finished item. I've not looked at the thread for a few months so he might have picked it up again.... worth checking.
That said, if you know Arduino programming it is a great starting point!

I have a friend who is flying the Phantom with OSD Ghost, Fatshark and GoPro Black. He uses it consistently and takes incredible pics. A flying buddy of his takes videos with the same setup that are truly amazing. I am seriously leaning in that direction as well.

If he gives tech support I will get it. I read the manual for setup and not complicated. He was a little vague in the description but I srted through the diagrams and like a puzzle I figured what it all meant, I converted the diagram, plugs and cables to the real pics and got it sorted out.

xstatic said:
If he gives tech support I will get it. I read the manual for setup and not complicated. He was a little vague in the description but I srted through the diagrams and like a puzzle I figured what it all meant, I converted the diagram, plugs and cables to the real pics and got it sorted out.

I strongly advise reading this (huge) thread before you decide: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 46&page=51 - post#754 is where Jay lets everyone know he is quitting and I can't see any posting from him after that. Saying that you may get help from others on there as plenty people have tried it... some work, some don't.

I think you will find Jay has just stopped posting on the forum. I bought one about a month ago and have had first class support from Jay via direct email.
The unit is really quite easy to fit on a Phantom.
John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav