Fire Department using drone with infrared

Reaction score
Sorry no link to the story. The long and short of it is this. Wrightsville Beach FD here in SE North Carolina has a P3 that they are using for search and rescue on land and sea. We have a ton of rip tide issues here. My initial thought was yeah that's cool. Then I noticed the photo attached was of a P3A and the camera looks stock. So my question is Infrared? How?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

a- Stock DJI Phantom photo (not of the actual a/c).
b- Incorrect reporting (human error).
c- Tip-Top Secret (tongue in cheek).

Reactions: V tail
a- doesn't look like a stock shot
b- in Wilmington,highly possible lol
c-[emoji3]

Now that I'm more awake and not so rushed teaching my 4th grader science. My real intrigue is if it's possible for them to retrofit a flir camera onto a P3 that they can get realtime video from. Also wondering if they make them small and light enough for the P3 to keep in the air for any length of time. Would be a pretty useful tool not to mention cool as hell.

While it's possible "key word being possible" to fit one onto a P3 platform it's far from ideal. They are usually fairly heavy and have short flight time. There is a company in New Zealand (maybe the Netherlands) that makes this kit but it's less than idea.

A mission specific aircraft is a MUCH better solution but unfortunately they are silly expensive. IMHO one of the best compromises of cost vs performance for SAR would be an Inspire platform. From there the M100 or higher would be excellent choices.

Reactions: AerialZ
Fire brigades here in Australia have been using Inspire One's for a while now.Mostly to survey fire scenes after the fire is extinguished but unsafe for people to enter the area/building.

The cheapest IR camera I have seen that you could mount on a multirotor was just over $10000.

The FLIR camera we have in the FD costs about that. Of course, now everybody has the $150 dongle that hooks on the their smartphones. It doesn't have the resolution of the expensive camera and is qualitative rather than quantitative but works nicely. I see this as something that will rapidly be driven down in price as FLIR (the dominant manufacturer) expands it's manufacturing lines and increases the number of models available.

We've talked about having either visual and / or IR drones for the local FD but it rains too much to be generically useful. I did overfly a recent structural fire which everybody thought was pretty cool and mostly had the officers noticing all sorts of training issues.....

Reactions: Falcon900
Sorry no link to the story. The long and short of it is this. Wrightsville Beach FD here in SE North Carolina has a P3 that they are using for search and rescue on land and sea. We have a ton of rip tide issues here. My initial thought was yeah that's cool. Then I noticed the photo attached was of a P3A and the camera looks stock. So my question is Infrared? How?

I just happened to read the posting. We are using the Inspire with FLIR.

Reactions: BigAl07
I just happened to read the posting. We are using the Inspire with FLIR.
Inspre1 with FLIR is a solid and dependable platform.

Inspire2 with FLIR is even more desirable.

M210 with FLIR is the Cat's MEOW because this is what it's designed for from the ground up. Problem being it's an EXPENSIVE option at least right now.

The Inspire 1 is a huge step for us but clearly has limitations. One being distance and battery life. Hopefully we will obtain buyin and can budget something a little more expensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers