Finally discovered transmitter battery life

Reaction score
I had backpacked my quad, gopro, transmitter and 5 batteries down a long trail for some shots of a rebuilt train trestle. After two quad batteries my tx starts beeping and I couldnt figure what was doing it. Set all the controls to neutral etc, no help. Then I got it, after 5 months of flying 27 times, going through 194 battery changes for about 1200 minutes of flying time I finally had worn out the tx batteries (which are rechargable NiMH).

I actually carry a spare set of AAs in my kit box which of course I left in my car since the tx batteries never seem to die. I figure between the warmup time and battery changes when the tx is on, numerous calibrations on the PC when the tx is on, and flying time I got about 1500 minutes of time from a set of rechargable AA. So if you, like me, are going on five months of flying time at about 2-4 times a week, five batteries at a time, then get ready for a new set! You don't want the tx going down without ample warning.

No sad ending thankfully to this story except unused quad batteries and a wasted trek into the woods, for now. But I think a lot of us got our Phantoms at near the same time in the spring so heads up on the tx.

and I had my heart set on that trestle video!

My TX batteries also died -- and I had lithiums, which did not last as long as I'd expected.

I carry spare AA batteries in all of my various packs, pouches and bags. It is a fact of modern life: you can't have too many batteries!

Very nice... although it would have been good to also include the river I think you captured the trestle itself quite well. What an amazing structure -- my understanding is that it was rebuilt with both private donations and Crown funds. There are remains of many similar trestles on the mountain behind our cabin but nothing on this scale. When I go mushrooming I sometimes find small sections, usually just a few of the lowest vertical pilings, badly rotted and not long for this world.

I am using ordinary batteries, and were not new when I put them in my TX and have yet to have a batteries getting flat warning. They last so long, rechargeables are just not worth using.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20