Finally bit the bullet - P3 Adv arriving today!

Reaction score
I've been wanting a drone for a while, but I figured that I'd wait until the prices kept going down...etc. Well, I went to the NHRA Drag Races at Bristol, and someone there has a P3 adv. As soon as I got home I ordered one.

Now I can't wait for it to arrive - sometime today. I've tried to research this as much as I could, but one question I have is, how will I be able to view live video as I fly? Does the drone need to have wifi to broadcast video, or will I be able to take it out in a field and view live video, where maybe there is no wifi?

This is a great forum, I've learned a lot in just the few days since I found it.

You plug your phone or tablet into the controller and you can view in 720p the live view from the camera, the drone uses its own transmission system lightbridge. Have fun and fly safely you have brought an awsome piece of kit !!!

Reactions: Jeffro115
Are you using your phone or ipad ?

Well - I have an iPod Touch that maybe I can use? But I was planning on using my Sony Xperia Z3 (verizon) phone at least initially.

Ideally, I'd like to use a tablet for a bigger screen. Of my two kids, one has an iPad, and the other has a Samsung Andriod tablet.

Any recommendations on what works best? I might get away with borrowing a tablet for the first few weeks before I have to bite another bullet and get my own. A question regarding that - would I need cell service or wifi for the tablet that I am using? Or would I be able to go into the "boonies" where there is no mobile service or wifi and still fly?

You got to first download DJI go app on your tablet/ phone and then connect to RC using USB cable. Once RC, AC are on and connected, switching on DJI go app will show you live video as seen by p3.

Any recommendations on what works best?
If you want the best, get an iPad Mini 4, iPad Pro 9.7", Nvidia Shield K1, or Google Nexus 7 (2013). You can find a bunch of other devices that'll work here.

A question regarding that - would I need cell service or wifi for the tablet that I am using? Or would I be able to go into the "boonies" where there is no mobile service or wifi and still fly?
The P3A does not use Wi-Fi. You can fly in the boonies if you cache the maps before you head out to fly. If you do not cache the maps, the only difference is that you won't be able to see the map as you're flying. You'll still have the live video though.

I use ipad mini 3 just for the p3a and it works great. I tried my Samsung s6 works well as well but I like the ipad for the bigger picture and better for touch settings,

Last edited:
I use an iPad Air. Love and works perfectly. I dont think your iPod touch will work, and if the iPad is anything less than an Air, I think I'm correct is saying that won't have the processing power to allow the GO app to work either. But the list msinger gave will confirm for sure.....

It's here.

Charging batteries as I wait...

My Sony phone is on the list of approved devices. I also have a Samsung 6 mobile for work... I might try both.

Question: the gimble clamp was not on the unit when I pulled it out of the box - it was in the bottom of the box though. Must have fallen off during shipping. When I carry this thing around, do I need to use the gimble clamp to protect the gimble? Or can I just throw this piece of plastic away? Do you think that if it fell off in shipping it could have possibly caused any damage?

I only took a quick minute to check it out, but I couldn't figure out the right orientation for it to go on anyway.

Attachments

• Phantom 3.jpg
    Phantom 3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 491
Keep (and use) the clear gimbal clamp. Throw away the white foam.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Enjoy downloading the firmware for the first time[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Question: the gimble clamp was not on the unit when I pulled it out of the box - it was in the bottom of the box though. Must have fallen off during shipping.
I only took a quick minute to check it out, but I couldn't figure out the right orientation for it to go on anyway.
One day we will hear about a gimbal clamp that didn't fall off in the box during shipping!

I put a couple of arrows on mine with a sharpie to help with getting it oriented.

But ultimately the best solution is one of the 3D printed lens caps that doubles as a gimbal clamp is what works best. There are also "production" molded models such as the one from PolarPro (I just got one free with purchase of a ND filter set from their website, haven't used it yet.)

Enjoy downloading the firmware for the first time[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't even know how to do that yet.

Charged the battery, now charging the remote. For some reason it says in the "smart" battery user guide that the battery and remote should not be charged at the same time.... so I guess I'll need another charger at some point.

I was contemplating flying this thing with whatever firmware it came with - but I guess I'll do a firmware upgrade search on here first.

There is very little information in the box, I am surprised. It doesn't even mention the compass calibration step in the quick start guide.

What calibrations do I need to do before flying besides the compass?

One day we will hear about a gimbal clamp that didn't fall off in the box during shipping!

I put a couple of arrows on mine with a sharpie to help with getting it oriented.

But ultimately the best solution is one of the 3D printed lens caps that doubles as a gimbal clamp is what works best. There are also "production" molded models such as the one from PolarPro (I just got one free with purchase of a ND filter set from their website, haven't used it yet.)

Ah good advice - and good to know that the gimble clamp is a common thing. I was hoping that the box wasn't shaken around too badly...

Charged the battery, now charging the remote. For some reason it says in the "smart" battery user guide that the battery and remote should not be charged at the same time.... so I guess I'll need another charger at some point.
The remote controller does not need to be charged very often, so you don't need a separate charger for it.
But you will quickly want a second and third battery, then another charger starts looking good. Or spend even more on one of the 3rd party chargers that can do 3 or 4 batteries at the same time - no end to spending more money now!

I was contemplating flying this thing with whatever firmware it came with - but I guess I'll do a firmware upgrade search on here first.
You can ignore the upgrade nag popup and fly it a few times with the firmware out of the box. That way you can verify all is working correctly before introducing the possibility of a problem during an upgrade.

There is very little information in the box, I am surprised. It doesn't even mention the compass calibration step in the quick start guide.
What calibrations do I need to do before flying besides the compass?
Before flying, you will want to download the full Phantom 3 Advanced User Manual and read it a couple of times.
In addition to calibrating the compass and IMU, be sure to understand how RTH works, and that you have a safe RTH altitude set in the app before takeoff. You will find lots info on how to use RTH (and horror stories of when it was not understood or used properly) in this forum!
Phantom 3 Advanced - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI

I would not fly it until you have read the manual a couple of times and watched all the videos. Fully understand how this thing works before you take it up. It may look simple to fly, which it is, but it is also very simple to loose, crash or damage someones property if something goes wrong. Do not trust the Return to home feature 100%. It is a great feature and it is an awesome feature when you really need it. Try to learn to fly with the sticks first, just in case...or rather...when a malfunction happens.
If you have never flown a quad-copter before, maybe think about buying a cheaper $50 one to learn and crash first, they are very forgiving.
P.S. Read the owners manual. Have fun

I don't even know how to do that yet.
You can find detailed firmware installation instructions here. If you follow them exactly, all should go well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik