Final Cut Pro X vs. Adobe Premier CC

Reaction score
Hi All,

Mostly a Mac house here with an iMac, Mac mini, rMBP, iPad, iPhone. I do run Windows 8.1 in a VM on the rMBP and a dedicated Lenovo Think Pad laptop.

The Premiere CC seems like a decent deal vs. buying the boxed CS6, to match my Photoshop suite but I would need to add the motion graphics to the subscription?

What about Final Cut Pro X? Motion 5 is another $50 as is Compressor, to save to different formats.

I currently use iMove and I hate it, not intuitive at all.

Your thoughts would be very helpfull on this.

Cheers,

Timmer

This kind of question will always trigger the same kind of answer, with pros FCPX and pros Premiere. just like mac vs pc. The guy in this video summarize pretty well the situation without passion one way or the other way, and more important, explains why.

Thank you Serge, I saw that video but was still confused.

I worked in the film industry for 10 years and the studios I worked with were all Apple. I saw what they did with films like the Green Lantern and the last Planet of the Apes.

I think I'm going to go Apple.

Cheers!

Edited to add: To get FCPX I need to go to Yosemite on my laptop. Going with Adobe, thanks again...

Last edited:
I use a PC so I don't have this choice, I use the Adobe CC suite, very happy with it, but I don't know FCPX really.

Hi All,

Mostly a Mac house here with an iMac, Mac mini, rMBP, iPad, iPhone. I do run Windows 8.1 in a VM on the rMBP and a dedicated Lenovo Think Pad laptop.

The Premiere CC seems like a decent deal vs. buying the boxed CS6, to match my Photoshop suite but I would need to add the motion graphics to the subscription?

What about Final Cut Pro X? Motion 5 is another $50 as is Compressor, to save to different formats.

I currently use iMove and I hate it, not intuitive at all.

Your thoughts would be very helpfull on this.

Cheers,

Timmer
If you hate iMovie than you might not like FCPX as there are very similar UI (although being more robust FCPX provides a lot more tools and I feel like the current workflow on it is pretty intuitive). I think with an NLE there is a learning curve, and if you are a Mac man you will probably benefit from going with FCPX especially since the buy in is long term versus subscription and your buying expensive hardware subsidizes the software to be cheap.
I personally just sold my rMBP as it only had integrated graphics and mainly use a hackintosh to edit. I still get my updates through my Mac Mini which also is my server and backups all my content many times for me at significant power savings. With the current gen of Nvidia desktop GPUs it is hard not to go hackintosh route on a Mac.
As for price, you can also reduce it significantly by finding an App Store/Itunes giftcard deal (80-85 for $100 GC). Buy 3 and you've lowered the cost considerably. I really lucked out buying from Best Buy while they had another promotion on top. Ended up getting FCPX and Motion for $255 total plus tax YMMV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav