Filters - ND vs ND/CPL filters?

Reaction score
So I'm having a hard time deciding what to get as far as filters are concerned, should I get ND filters or should I get the ND/CPL filters? I do plan on using my drone to get footage at beaches so there will a bit of glare I assume from the water.

Would the Neewer branded ones be good enough or another brand?

I never left my CPL when taking out my DSLR. It is one of the filter which effect cannot be recreated in post (i.e. Photoshop).
It reduces reflection from objects, resulting in much better saturation and tone compared to not using the filter; a must have for landscape photography.

However, (a big however) CPL need to be constantly adjusted (called the 'angle') to get the best saturation by turning the front rim of the filter. This is a problem with drones as once airborne you have no way to adjust it.
That said, I have one in my Phantom arsenal. It could be very useful, but very challenging to get the best out.

For your need, I would suggest plain simple ND8 (for video) and ND16. A ND32 would be a good addition for beach spot; you might want 4 sec exposure in daylight to get that cotton lilke small waves.

Reactions: sam-car
I never left my CPL when taking out my DSLR. It is one of the filter which effect cannot be recreated in post (i.e. Photoshop).
It reduces reflection from objects, resulting in much better saturation and tone compared to not using the filter; a must have for landscape photography.

However, (a big however) CPL need to be constantly adjusted (called the 'angle') to get the best saturation by turning the front rim of the filter. This is a problem with drones as once airborne you have no way to adjust it.
That said, I have one in my Phantom arsenal. It could be very useful, but very challenging to get the best out.

For your need, I would suggest plain simple ND8 (for video) and ND16. A ND32 would be a good addition for beach spot; you might want 4 sec exposure in daylight to get that cotton lilke small waves.
I believe you might be referring to a linear polarizer, which does need to be adjusted, once you adjust a circular polarizer initially, as the gimbal insures that the camera never rotates relative to the ground, the filter does not need any further adjustment. (Not actually sure a linear polarizer would either)
I use a PhantomFilters CPL, with an adjustable ND filter, and adjust the ND for the exposure I want. Seems to work for me!

P3P / Shield K1 / Canada / SK

An ND filter has a very different use than a CP polarizing filter, so the question isn't which one(s) to buy, but which ones of each to buy.

I set up a CP filter by pointing the camera to a point in the sky that's 90* from the sun. That's where the sky will be most polarized. I twist the filter so the sky gets darkest, and I'm done. It has to be used with caution, because if you pan across the sky (so often overdone), you can get a noticeable dark 'hole' in the blue sky.

I use my ND filters, ranging from ND4 to ND64, to allow fairly precise control of my shutter speed at the lowest possible ISO. Shooting at 24 fps, I use whichever filter gives me a shutter speed of 50.

As always, YMMV.

Reactions: bungrudi
Thanks. I was wondering how to best set a CPL, since you can't tweak it mid-flight.
And yes, you could have situations that need different polorization settings.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks all for the valuable information, I elected to purchase just a set of quality ND filters for now by Taco RC.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31