Filtering Advice Please?

Reaction score
I got my Phantom after our last snow was pretty much gone and I was upset because I REALLY wanted some cool snow shots. Well, we just got an inch or so so I'm planning to take advantage of it tomorrow am. However, I know jack squat about what filter to use in what lighting. I have: UV, Polarizer, ND 4 and ND 8. I have noticed that the UV filter really makes things pop. I know that that is a very commonly used filter. But what about if its cloudy? Or super bright? I was fond of the effect of the Polarizer as well. Can the filters be used in conjunction with each other,,,ie UV with Polarizer on top? Or are they stand alone only? I am perfectly willing to learn by experimentation in every other circumstance, but this is probably my only chance to get shots like this for 8+ months so I'd like to get as perfect as possible, so advice is greatly appreciated, as always.

Depends on which filters you have...if you have those little plastic film types, you may be able to combine them, but you wouldn't be able to do it with the screw on type - you'd be adding extra weight to the gimbal as well if you add too many.
nd-filters.JPG

Reactions: Gary M
Can the filters be used in conjunction with each other,,,ie UV with Polarizer on top?
Most of the commonly used filters are not stackable. And, as marzipana noted above, stacking them would put more stress on the gimbal due to the added weight. It would be better to get a combination ND and polarizer filter (like the SRP ND16/CP). There aren't many combination slide-on filters available right now.

gvsukids, it's okay to fly in cold weather if you take a few extra precautions. DJI has some helpful tips here and here.

Reactions: gvsukids
Well guys, I did go out yesterday but the weather never did clear out enough to get the shots I wanted. And then I had issues (again...) with the Litchi mission, so I couldn't fly my planned route. Any day flying the Phantom is a good day, but some things just don't go as planned, lol.

I'd love to send all my snow your way. :)

Here are some shots with different filters I took recently.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd love to send all my snow your way. :)

Here are some shots with different filters I took recently.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thats a very informative video! Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31