Filter ring stuck (really stuck)

Reaction score
Hi all

When unscrewing the filter ring to add a ND filter on my new Phantom 4, I noticed that the threads was very gritty and not running smoothly like on a normal DSLR lens filter. I added the ND filer and started to screw the filter ring back on, making sure the threads aligned correctly. Same gritty feeling when screwing the filter ring back on, although I checked the threads for any prarticles or aluminium dust.

About 2/3 in the filter ring just jammed completely. Have tried every suggestion google and youtube have come up with to unscrew the filter ring again... rubber band, jar opener, heat... but I suspect that the threads are torn. Now I'm stuck with a ND filter that does not come off!

Any idea on what to do next?

Last edited:
Use rubber gloves?

I've removed my lens several times with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Stefan

Yes, have tried that and other things like jar opener. Will perhaps be easier if I dismantle the camera. A bit scary to apply force when the camera is attached to the frail gimbal!

C

Rubber band worked for me and one method is to apply as little squeez force as possible, at first I could not remove mine than loosend my grip and it came off. The filters are so thin when you squeez to get a grip you press the theads together more. Do nor use any thread lub with solvents as they may damage the lenses,once off I rubbed a little parafin wax on a q-tip and rubbed the threads ever so gently and that work for future install and removal.

I have the lens cover of my gimbal lock cut off, as I use a PolarPro lens cover along with the factory gimbal lock, and I can now remove the filters while the gimbal is held in place solidly by the factory gimbal lock. Also, others have said they apply a very thin coating of lubricant, coconut oil applied with a Q-tip, to the threads of the filters and this makes them much smoother to apply.

Some have been able to use the motor wrench if you have the wrench from the new motors. It's a bit small but it will be the next step. a 10" crescent wrench over the camera body will hold that safe if needed and I have had to use the pipe grip channel locks on the lens more than once. If you use the channel locks or small vise grips, be sure to not use rubber or anything between the jaws and the lens cover. It's extreme but works every time. Best suggestion is to move your fingers 90° from where you had them stuck, push together varied with the pressure and see if you have a threaded barrel that isn't round. I found on one of mine that from top to bottom is narrower then from side to side, so by pushing in from top to bottom released the side to side pressure and it easily came off.

try heating the aluminum filterto dilate it and then rubber band...... Even more effective if you cool the entire camera first.

Have tried, heating, rubber bands, soft drink opener tools and loads of other stuff. Think I just have to try to return to dealer, not too keen to star dismantle or apply brute force :(

You could try a pipe wrench.

upload_2016-6-13_13-10-20.png

Hi all

When unscrewing the filter ring to add a ND filter on my new Phantom 4, I noticed that the threads was very gritty and not running smoothly like on a normal DSLR lens filter. I added the ND filer and started to screw the filter ring back on, making sure the threads aligned correctly. Same gritty feeling when screwing the filter ring back on, although I checked the threads for any prarticles or aluminium dust.

About 2/3 in the filter ring just jammed completely. Have tried every suggestion google and youtube have come up with to unscrew the filter ring again... rubber band, jar opener, heat... but I suspect that the threads are torn. Now I'm stuck with a ND filter that does not come off!

Any idea on what to do next?

Sometimes when trying to get a filter off a lens of my camera they have become stuck. Part of the problem when trying to remove them has been that the act of squeezing them in order to turn them actually acts to deform their shape a little bit which makes it even more difficult to loosen them. I learned that instead of squeezing them from the sides, placing the palm of my hand on the face of the filter and pressing it flat against the filter I was usually able to loosen the filter by rotating my hand. Because the P4 filters are so small it might be that using three or four finger tips to press from the front of the filter toward the back might suffice. Of course you will want to support the camera from the back with your other hand so as to avoid putting undue stress on the gimbal. You could also try applying a little heat--very carefully and not too much--with a hair dryer on low or setting the bird in the sun for a few minutes. (Chilling things off might also be something to try--I can never keep straight when to heat or to chill.) The tiniest drop of a penetrating oil such as Liquid Wrench might help. I would hold off on the heat and the oil unless absolutely necessary. If you get the filter off then cleaning the threads and lightly lubricating them with an appropriate lube would seem prudent. Also, using the thin edge of a triangular jeweler's file with something that magnifies your vision so that you can carefully clean up any thread damage might be called for. HTH.

Last edited:
Try a small suction cup on the glass of the lens, stick it to the filter's lens and then lightly twist the base of the suction cup. This works miracles as no pressure is being applied to the ring of the lenses filter.

Sometimes when trying to get a filter off a lens of my camera they have become stuck. Part of the problem when trying to remove them has been that the act of squeezing them in order to turn them actually acts to deform their shape a little bit which makes it even more difficult to loosen them. I learned that instead of squeezing them from the sides, placing the palm of my hand on the face of the filter and pressing it flat against the filter I was usually able to loosen the filter by rotating my hand. Because the P4 filters are so small it might be that using three or four finger tips to press from the front of the filter toward the back might suffice. Of course you will want to support the camera from the back with your other hand so as to avoid putting undue stress on the gimbal. You could also try applying a little heat--very carefully and not too much--with a hair dryer on low or setting the bird in the sun for a few minutes. (Chilling things off might also be something to try--I can never keep straight when to heat or to chill.) The tiniest drop of a penetrating oil such as Liquid Wrench might help. I would hold off on the heat and the oil unless absolutely necessary. If you get the filter off then cleaning the threads and lightly lubricating them with an appropriate lube would seem prudent. Also, using the thin edge of a triangular jeweler's file with something that magnifies your vision so that you can carefully clean up any thread damage might be called for. HTH.

Tried this with no luck! A bit hesitant to use penetration oil if I'm going to return the drone to the dealer. Aluminum threads on aluminum threads is a bad combination. Dji should have made a plastic filter holder to put on the outside of the lens!

Yes, I should have applied some silicon lubricant once I had the filter ring of the first time, will do that if I get it of. Will try with a suction cup, as suggested bellow. Have now sent a request for return to the dealer.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik