Filming Inside Dark Areas

Reaction score
We were doing some filming for a promotional video yesterday at a local billiards/bar/restaurant. It was very dark even with all the lights on and it made for VERY difficult filming with the Phantom 3 Pro. The floor is black with small white speckles, but the phantom 3 pro couldn't see well enough to hold position. Even breathing next to the drone pushed it off course and keeping a straight line was almost impossible. We did manage to get plenty of good footage, but it was difficult at best. Just be aware of dark areas (especially the floor) while filming.
next_to_bar.jpg

Did you increase your ISO setting?

I think they are referring to sonar/vision positioning against the dark floor.
Exactly correct. The sonar positioning (height above ground) seemed mostly good, but vision positioning (holding over a specific spot) sucked.
And, yes, ISO was all set for filming in a darker area.

Sorry rather off topic, but in that situation, how about steadycam/dollycam/wirecam? Because Phantom has very good stabilizer, handhold or instant dolly/wire works fine. Also FPV feature is useful. Phantom doesn't have to fly, and works as enough good camera/tripod. :)

Sorry rather off topic, but in that situation, how about steadycam/dollycam/wirecam? Because Phantom has very good stabilizer, handhold or instant dolly/wire works fine. Also FPV feature is useful. Phantom doesn't have to fly, and works as enough good camera/tripod. :)
Also correct. We did use the Phantom 3 Pro to do some still photography and a little bit of hand-held video in smaller areas such as the kitchen and bar areas. There was just sooo much stuff in the way and hazards to flying! As you can see in these next two screenshots from the video, lights hung over each pool table with three (3) chains per light and with a lot more "hung by cable" lights over each of the dining tables. Menus on the tables were flying off tables, pool chalk dust was being blow off the pool tables, the lighting was different in every position that you stood, etc. It was a tough and demanding shoot to say the least.
over_tables.jpg

dining.jpg

Reactions: taroh
Exactly correct. The sonar positioning (height above ground) seemed mostly good, but vision positioning (holding over a specific spot) sucked.
And, yes, ISO was all set for filming in a darker area.
I sometimes get better results by turning key lights off in the room. This prevents the camera from trying to underexpose the shot. Like you, I also was able to maintain height, but could not stop lateral movement in a building with a cement floor. I suspect this is the case outdoors, too, but the camera is so far away from its subject outdoors that the stabilizer hides it.

Reactions: taroh
I sometimes get better results by turning key lights off in the room. This prevents the camera from trying to underexpose the shot. Like you, I also was able to maintain height, but could not stop lateral movement in a building with a cement floor. I suspect this is the case outdoors, too, but the camera is so far away from its subject outdoors that the stabilizer hides it.
Outside, GPS holds the Phantom 3 Pro VERY well and we have never NOT has less than 7 satellites to lock onto. We have done a lot of parking lot launches and have not had any problems with the sonar hold for altitude at 3.5 feet, YET. I suppose it will happen though.

Okay, here's the video we ended up with. Flew the Inspire 1 outside and the Phantom 3 Pro inside, along with plenty of still pictures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair