Filming Hunting Eagles....

Reaction score
My brother lives on the Columbia River and they have quite a few eagles hunting ducks in front of their house. I am thinking of flying around his back yard and out over the river to get some flying footage - staying away from the prey and predator's - Say 100' or more as I will also be filming from his deck with a very long lens.

Anyone flown in areas with hunting eagles - I would not want to hurt one if it attacked a drone, don't want to be a reverse Sully. These are full grown bald eagles capable of carrying a large duck off the water, and I am sure they could dispatch a phantom rather easily.

Any experience filming (really video but I come from a time when we "filmed":) ) large birds of prey in a hunting posture would be appreciated.

l tryed to film them once from a good distance and in no time at all they were trying to get it out of the sky. They really hate them! Haven't tried sense seeing l'm scared to death of hurting one. And if u don't hurt one u may lose a good quad.

I agree, would never want to hurt any animal when I am filming. Once had to wait a couple of minutes before a "bark" scorpion crawled across my hand, same thing happened with a widow once. That's not say that I won't defend myself as both myself and my brother are carrying when we go to his trail cameras, almost always a bear or cougar on a video. But we're in their house and should always act like it. How far away were you when you started?

Oh l'm guessing 200yrds but found out there was another nest l was unaware of. lf l remember correctly u live in the middle of a forest don't u?

Really not a good idea. They are very territorial and will view the drone as a threat. I've seen a male bald eagle take out an intruder bald eagle by grabbing it and throwing it out of the sky. They would likely try and do the same to a drone, though could be injured in the process. I'd stick to the deck with your long lens.

This proposed endeavour has a high level of difficulty, not worth the risk from my experience. I pack up for the day if eagles are around, they will likely have a go and I can almost promise you there is no way any evasive measure will defeat them. The wedge tails even have a go at full scale which can be terrifying when you are in a small Robinson heli.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl