filming a plane as it flys away

Reaction score
So i know your supposed to get out of the way of a plane if you see one or whatever, but i was flying today and a plane flew over like super low, like right above the trees. i wasn't close to him, but is it ok to fly up and film him as he's flying away? it was easy to do and i figured there wasn't any danger since i didn't figure i could even catch him if i wanted to. plus i don't think he could even see me since i was behind him.

Did you iron and prepare your flame suit before you wrote this thread?

FAA doesn't have any regulations of trying to follow any aircrafts. As long as you're not being "reckless" and are within your allotted airspace altitudes.

Reactions: SGs and beakeru2
If he was under 400 feet (which is very peculiar), you could follow him at a considerable distance.

Corey- were you within 5 miles of an airport? What do you think the altitude of the airplane was, and what AGL were you at??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you iron and prepare your flame suit before you wrote this thread?
??? dont know what that means.

sweet, just wanted to make sure it was ok to try that out. i thought it was cool being able to get same height since he was so low

Corey- were you within 5 miles of an airport? What do you think the altitude of the airplane was, and what AGL were you at??
NO, was not close to any airport but way out in the middle of nowhere where my grandparents live. lots of planes fly low around there for some reason. i dont know what AGL is.

??? dont know what that means.

sweet, just wanted to make sure it was ok to try that out. i thought it was cool being able to get same height since he was so low
He means that people might get mad at you. Hence the flames.

NO, was not close to any airport but way out in the middle of nowhere where my grandparents live. lots of planes fly low around there for some reason. i dont know what AGL is.

AGL- above ground level, meaning the height above where you took off from. FAA requires that aircraft stay above 500' except take off and landing. UAV's i.e. (Your Phantom) has to stay below for 400', this is to help keep space for safety.

He means that people might get mad at you. Hence the flames.
Especially around here when everyone gets bent out of shape over the smallest things.

I think you could've caught some footage, depending on the size of an aircraft and whether it was on final approach or what it could've been traveling at a little over 120mph which for that size, could definitely be captured, you also have a 2x zoom in the video mode.

Reactions: beakeru2
So i know your supposed to get out of the way of a plane if you see one or whatever, but i was flying today and a plane flew over like super low, like right above the trees. i wasn't close to him, but is it ok to fly up and film him as he's flying away? it was easy to do and i figured there wasn't any danger since i didn't figure i could even catch him if i wanted to. plus i don't think he could even see me since i was behind him.
AGL- above ground level, meaning the height above where you took off from. FAA requires that aircraft stay above 500' except take off and landing. UAV's i.e. (Your Phantom) has to stay below for 400', this is to help keep space for safety.
I'm still wondering why the plane was so low! o_O

The thing I have learned from experience when I worked with a tree service company, the view from ground up to something is very different than the other way around. For instance, a tree may not look very tall from the ground but when you are up near the top, the distance to the ground appears much greater. I believe this may be from lack of depth perception as you look up at something with the sky in the background where you are not able to truly verify the distance. Going the other way, the ground is a fixed background so you truly can see the depth and height. The plane may have been 500'+ but didn't seem like it. This happens to me a lot when I see some planes fly over...I think, my drone at 400' appears further away than that plane. Granted my phantom is a lot smaller.

Corey- can you post footage so that the experience on this forum can review?

Corey, for your own safety, do not post any footage. If it is determined that what you were doing is against FAA rules, you could be in a world of trouble and you just gave evidence on it. Best do your research, ask questions, provide answers of your supposed flight based on those questions.

Think of it like the youtubers who post videos of them on a motorcycle weaving in and out of traffic, or stunting. They may even be in an empty parking lot but suddenly there's a knock on their door and a warrant for their arrest.

Be smart dude. I'm sure folks here want to help you be a safer pilot as it benefits the community as a whole. Just don't be "that guy". Good luck :)

Edit: I didn't receive that knock on the door but I feel ppl who stunt in traffic give the rest of us sport bikers a bad name.

FAA requires that aircraft stay above 500' except take off and landing.
That's a common over-simplification of the actual VFR flight rules for minimum safe altitudes: http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_g...66c70067018c/91693c93525de33e862576c100763e31
Take particular note of this:
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Other than congested areas.
In areas that are not considered congested, but may otherwise contain some population, you must operate your aircraft at least 500 feet above the surface. In the circumstance where you are over open water or sparsely populated areas, you may operate your aircraft at any altitude, but you must not fly closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure (including electrical or telephone wires).

Corey, for your own safety, do not post any footage. If it is determined that what you were doing is against FAA rules, you could be in a world of trouble and you just gave evidence on it. Best do your research, ask questions, provide answers of your supposed flight based on those questions.

Think of it like the youtubers who post videos of them on a motorcycle weaving in and out of traffic, or stunting. They may even be in an empty parking lot but suddenly there's a knock on their door and a warrant for their arrest.

Be smart dude. I'm sure folks here want to help you be a safer pilot as it benefits the community as a whole. Just don't be "that guy". Good luck :)

Edit: I didn't receive that knock on the door but I feel ppl who stunt in traffic give the rest of us sport bikers a bad name.
While I agree with you, I also disagree with you. Posting it here is probably a bad idea, unless he owns a flame suit. Majority here gets bent out of shape, quick. The "youtubers" comment is just silly and almost never happens.

But overall I agree, be safe

Reactions: beakeru2

In the interests of clarity AGL is aircraft to terrain/water below. Unlikely of significance in this instance but can be greatly different to where you took off from.

35mph quad trying to fellow and take video of a plane that at a min travel at 150mph!?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20