FILE TRANSFER PROCESS

Reaction score
So I use a 32 Gb micro sd card in my P3P. I like to store all video files on a network storage drive (6 Tb) and have to plug the micro sd card into a sd-USB thumb drive, then plug that into the USB port on the back of the NAS. Takes a while to transfer multiple Gb of data. What do the rest of you guys do?

I store mine on a terabyte USB drive and plus the so card into a USB adapter to the drive , start the transfer and wait.... Same as you the only faster me hod would be using USB 3.0 if it available on your unit. Each video is over a gig so it takes time to transfer... Patience is required!

Yes, I do the same. Just start transfer and come back when done. But not all SD uSB readers are created equal. I get greater speed out of the SD card microSD adapter.

You have to make sure the USB adapter AND the port on the NAS is USB 2.0 or 3.0 or even better 3.1. Doesn't matter how fast the SD card is, if its going through a USB 1.0 funnel, go get a cup of coffee.

USB 1.0 is only 1MB/s
USB 2.0 is 60MB/s
USB 3.0 is 625MB/s
USB 3.1 will be 1250MB/s

Forgot to mention, if the port on the NAS is only 2.0 and you have a 3.0 port on your PC, you are far better off going and getting a 3.0 USB card reader to plug into your PC and then transfer it over a gigabit network. Thats what I do.

Not by standard no. But I don't know how old his NAS or PC are. I also don't know the spec of the USB to uSD adapter he has either. Do you?

Still, if its 2.0, and his PC has 3.0 my statement about dragging it across the network still holds true.

Not by standard no. But I don't know how old his NAS or PC are. I also don't know the spec of the USB to uSD adapter he has either. Do you?

Still, if its 2.0, and his PC has 3.0 my statement about dragging it across the network still holds true.
Find me a NAS or PC running today that he can watch those videos on that's running USB 1.0 Found it humorous to reference, that's all. Like saying if you're transferring over 56k dial up modem it'll take a long time. But that being said, I'm sure there are more people with a dial up modem, than USB 1.0 connections.

How do you manage file names?
When I clear the microSD card the Phantom starts naming files again at 1.
Yeah, go into camera settings, I think, and choose the option to not reset filenames. It's silly that it's set to reset by default.

Reactions: BeeLab
Yeah, go into camera settings, I think, and choose the option to not reset filenames. It's silly that it's set to reset by default.

Seriously? Jesus. Glad he asked. I just cleared the card for the first time.

Does it reset the numbers if you only delete the files from the folder? I didn't wipe the card, I don't know what all the other files are and didn't want to screw the pooch after only 2 days :)

Seriously? Jesus. Glad he asked. I just cleared the card for the first time.

Does it reset the numbers if you only delete the files from the folder? I didn't wipe the card, I don't know what all the other files are and didn't want to screw the pooch after only 2 days :)
Yes, it will if you've not changed it to incremental filenames. It was a pain the first few flights, as I did multiple in the same day and couldn't even use sub folders. Only found that option myself last week.

Yes, it will if you've not changed it to incremental filenames. It was a pain the first few flights, as I did multiple in the same day and couldn't even use sub folders. Only found that option myself last week.

Brilliant. Thanks! Honestly incremental SHOULD be the default. But, at least you just saved me some headaches :)

True, remember, your speed is only as fast as your slowest connection point. If over the network your network is only 10/100 Mbps and you are using usb 3.0, you are going to be receiving it on the other end at 10/100 Mbps or sending it out at 10/100 Mbps. It depends on your setup. Slow by today's standard.

I keep every file under the sub folders with their corresponding date of recording.
For example if I record two video files (DJI_0001.mp4 and DJI_0002.mp4) today, then I create a sub folder named 2016-01-21 and copy those two files into that folder.
So yes, I have a number of files with the same DJI_0001.mp4 name, but they are all in different sub folders.

Each time I transfer photos/videos from the aircraft I create a subfolder with the date so this doesn't really affect me. If you store you files within a single folder you can prevent duplicate names by setting the file naming convention to sequential from within the camera options. It remembers the sequence even if you format the card. I have mine set to sequential naming.

Each time I transfer photos/videos from the aircraft I create a subfolder with the date so this doesn't really affect me. If you store you files within a single folder you can prevent duplicate names by setting the file naming convention to sequential from within the camera options. It remembers the sequence even if you format the card. I have mine set to sequential naming.

I also like to rename the file so I know what that flight entails. I usually start with the date, DJI index number and a brief note of the flight event. For example; 12-30-2015 DJI_0001 Test after repair.mp4 and I also rename the dot srt file to the same name. It is a bit of grunt work up front, but I know what each flight is about and when. This also facilitates sorting by date and dji index number.

So if I use a USB 3 adapter plugged into the usb3 port on the beck of the NAS and give the file move command from a pc hard wired to the network via cat 5, the processing speed of the hard wired laptop shouldn't come into play?

OK, my NAS has a USB3 port. I have a micro SD to UBS3 card reader. The laptop I use (Plugged into the network via cat 5) has USB2. Is it better to plug the memory card into the USB port on the NAS, then file manager on the laptop to transfer from card to NAS? What speed would I get in this instance. BTW, the router supports Gigibit over ethernet HOWEVER the laptop is connected into a 10/100 switch, although I could change that

There is also a USB port on the back of the router, which I guess I could plug the sd card reader directly into, then transfer that way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl