Field Charging Solution

Reaction score
mcmax20 said:
Hey Guys,
Do you think that this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250896110552?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
would work with this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251502574699?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

To charge batteries from a vehicle in the field? It would be way cheaper than DJI's system @ $100 for a single charger.

They look like they would work together. But keep in mind when charging in parallel you get the same voltage but the amperage gets split. So with 3 packs each is only going to see 2 amps max. So you are talking about maybe 2 hours or more to recharge 3 packs all at the same time.

I have 4 packs and 2 DJI chargers (the desk top ones) I can get an hour of flying then take a break, charge in 2 hours at home and fly another hour if I wanted to.

You bet. The biggest concern I had was if I would get "clean" power to my batteries. If I could charge 3 packs in two hours I'd be happy, I have an inverter right now and using two chargers can do 2 batteries in about 1.5 hours. With this other setup, I can still swap them on/off the board as needed so while one is finishing (using low amps), another could be taking more current to max out the 6A.

Is anyone else doing anything "different" for field charging? I've only just ordered this combo so I'll give feedback after I've had some time to test.

Also, now that I think about it, on the dji car charger there is a inline box which obviously the one I'm looking at doesn't have; is that an accumulator of sorts? To provide more consistent power or voltage as the vehicle starts and stops?

I've been thinking about foldable solar panels for some time; I guess that counts as a different type of field charging.

mcmax20 said:
Also, now that I think about it, on the dji car charger there is a inline box which obviously the one I'm looking at doesn't have; is that an accumulator of sorts? To provide more consistent power or voltage as the vehicle starts and stops?

Not sure what you mean by "accumulator", but I'm thinking they have a fuse in there and perhaps some sort of voltage regulator to keep a steady voltage to the packs.

But the weird thing is, the regular charger is nothing more than a 12.6 volt 4 amp power supply. But it feeds that steady, so that may be what the box does, keeps the voltage constant.

Bite the bullet, pay a whole $30 or $40, and buy a proper power inverter at Home Depot. You can plug it into the cigarette jack in your car and get 120 v power.

Great Pumpkin said:
Bite the bullet, pay a whole $30 or $40, and buy a proper power inverter at Home Depot. You can plug it into the cigarette jack in your car and get 120 v power.

I'm already using an inverter, just looking for a less bulky way to charge when in the field. Inverter + the DJI chargers + the batteries gets a bit cumbersome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav