Field Charging - Car Battery Jumper vs Inverter vs USB power bank

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Just purchased my first P3 standard and excited for it to arrive.

Question regarding field charging. I'm trying to pick the best option that doesn't include running my car.
What I wanted to know for each option:
How many times will these charge the batteries with the 57w charger?
Time to charge to 100% with the 57w charger?

Option 1: Car battery jumper with DC outlets port: 12 volt DC plug, max output 5amps
Stanley 1000-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor - Walmart.com

Option 2. DC to AC power inverter
I'm thinking of a 300W inverter, but what is recommended, any differences between 300w and 500w?
Suggestions on what battery to run this off of? Car battery thats installed already or a secondary one?

Option 3. Power bank with AC outlet
AC Output 120 VAC, 60 Hz
Maximum Power Output 65 W
Xcellon 12,000mAh Power Bank with AC and USB Outlets PB-1200AC

I would prefer to do option 1 or 3 so that I can also use the items for other purposes.

Sounds a good idea. I am looking forward to seeing the replies. So far I haven't recharged the batteries on my car, as I often have a wall outlet in the nearby. But I think the time will come not long from now.

I may just purchase a car battery jumper and test it myself before my trip. I'll be able to see how many times I can charge a battery and how long it takes.

How can you charge using a 12v battery or jump starter? My Standard charger doesn't have a 12v IN port.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a Stanley 200 to 500 watt inverter you plug in to cigarette lighter that will not work for charging batteries but when you hook it to car battery it goes in to the 500 watt mode and that works

How long will you be on the field? The whole day? Several days?

Just thinking out of the box... For about the price of the more expensive portable power sources suggested above, consider getting a sub-1kW gasoline generator.

Example: Amazon.com : All Power America APG3004, 800 Running Watts/1000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Generator : Inverter Generator : Patio, Lawn & Garden
  • This particular model runs 5 hours (half-load) per gallon of fuel
  • Runs 'indefinitely' for as long as you have extra fuel
  • If you have multiple batteries and chargers, charge them all at the same time without overloading the generator

I just randomly chose those car jumpers as examples, so I'll do a little research on better ones. I wanted to stay away from gas powered generators.

I might just grab a car jumper next week from walmart to test out and return if I dont like the results.

I will be in the field for about 5 days, but I would like to charge the drone battery about 4 times. I should be getting a second battery as well, available for pre-order for next week, about $96 from china http://www.banggood.com/4500mAh-15_...I-Phantom-3-Phantom-3-Standard-p-1027251.html

Time to charge a battery with the OEM charger (57 watt) is about an hour and a half. I like the idea of the small generator myself. But, the power pack with AC outlet might work. Hmmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello Everyone,

Just purchased my first P3 standard and excited for it to arrive.

Question regarding field charging. I'm trying to pick the best option that doesn't include running my car.
What I wanted to know for each option:
How many times will these charge the batteries with the 57w charger?
Time to charge to 100% with the 57w charger?

Option 1: Car battery jumper with DC outlets port: 12 volt DC plug, max output 5amps
Stanley 1000-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor - Walmart.com

Option 2. DC to AC power inverter
I'm thinking of a 300W inverter, but what is recommended, any differences between 300w and 500w?
Suggestions on what battery to run this off of? Car battery thats installed already or a secondary one?

Option 3. Power bank with AC outlet
AC Output 120 VAC, 60 Hz
Maximum Power Output 65 W
Xcellon 12,000mAh Power Bank with AC and USB Outlets PB-1200AC

I would prefer to do option 1 or 3 so that I can also use the items for other purposes.
I used to run a power inverter on a Marine Blue Top Optima group 31 for my rc drift cars..Charge the battery up the night before throw it in the trunk with the power inverter and your good to go all day...i have not tried it with my P3S since I have a few extras

Take into account the power losses involved when converting DC to AC and back to DC. With a finite resource such as a battery-based portable power source, that's a big thing.

By my estimate, a 22Ah portable power source will probably charge a P3 battery using the 65W charger maybe 3 times, max. This will get progressively less as the battery in the portable power source age.

CAUTION[emoji845]
Other forum members have had issues with the knock-off battery!
If my memory serves me, they won't work with the most current firmware.

To be precise, it's a DJI Go app lock, not from the aircraft's firmware. People have circumvented this lock by using 3rd-party apps like Autopilot and Litchi.

My van has a built in converter 120 volt 500 watts. I just plug my charger in and charge as I'm driving to my next location.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Take into account the power losses involved when converting DC to AC and back to DC. With a finite resource such as a battery-based portable power source, that's a big thing.

By my estimate, a 22Ah portable power source will probably charge a P3 battery using the 65W charger maybe 3 times, max. This will get progressively less as the battery in the portable power source age.

Thank you much oj88.

Can you explain how I could use this info (22Ah) to get a decent car jumper or power pack (either with an ac outlet)? An example would be much appreciated :)

I did find this jumper. It looks decent, but it says that the Battery is only 9aH. Does that mean it will only charge a little over one Battery?
Battery Type: Maintenance-free, sealed lead acid, 12 volt DC, 9aH

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RZ...SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=51fugIaMe1L&ref=plSrch

Manual:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/A1KVUyl55eS.pdf

Frankly, I won't use those glorified power banks to charge the P3 batteries. I mean, they're inefficient for that purpose. There's just too much system losses happening that probably only half of their capacity is getting into your P3 batteries. And when they get depleted, it takes them hours to recharge.

Sorry to be repetitive but I'm still going to stick with a small genset with an extra can of fuel anytime.

To be precise, it's a DJI Go app lock, not from the aircraft's firmware. People have circumvented this lock by using 3rd-party apps like Autopilot and Litchi.
Thank you for the clarification![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My Jeep has an inverter already equipped. No problem for me....LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic