Few general questions

Reaction score
hello all!
I am new here, so I need some general instructions and hints!
I am amateur landscape photographer, and I am taking photos with Nikon cameras (D700, D300 and D80). Generally, I am very satisfied with those cameras! Few months ago I bought GoPro Hero3 and started to make landscape videos - again I am satisfied with GoPro! Now I am contemplating to buy DJI Phantom; but after considering many online reviews I still don't know - to buy DJI Phantom Vision 2 or DJI Phantom 2. According to the tests on the internet, Vision 2 integrated camera is fairly good, but is it good as GoPro Hero3? Also - I have to say that I don't have much experience with the quadrocopter flying; but I suppose that both DJIs are easy to fly...
Suggestions....

Thank you very much and regards
d'art

If you've got a GoPro already and you are happy with the stills it produces then I wouldn't get a Vision - get a quad to fly your GoPro. I didn't have a GoPro already and I got a Vision and I'm very happy with it (especially the ability to frame shots via the app, etc). If I had a GoPro already I would have gone for the V1 or V2 Phantom and spent the difference in price on FPV gear so I could see what the GoPro was shooting and possibly a gimbal as well.

It's a tricky decision as everyone will give you their own opinion - often forcefully! - but only you can decide if the convenience of the out of the box package of the Vision with its charge-and-go nature, ability to control the camera in the air and built in streaming video is more suited to your needs or whether the Phantom 2 with gimbal for rock steady video, but no live streaming out of the box and no GoPro camera control in the air is a better start point and then get an FPV transmitter and goggles/screen on it for framing.

Maybe wait for a while until the Vision camera is updated to save images in DNG RAW format - then you'll be able to get a much better idea of how that camera performs as a still camera. If you want to go the route of getting anything other than "happy hobbyist" standard of video then the Vision isn't going to give you that as it lacks the 2 axis gimbal out of the box - although there are a couple of third-party gimbals for the Vision being developed as we speak (but they'll cost).

Good luck with your decision - don't rush it, though!

I own the original Phantom but I've been keeping an eye on the Vision just to see what's up. So far I think my purchase would still be applicable today. I have added some accessories that would be more difficult to add to a Vision. I added a 2D gimbal (ARRIS CM2000) and FPV goggles (Fat Shark Attitude). I don't think the tiny app screen would have worked for me. I started with a 7" monitor for an FPV set up and between bright sunlight and the fact that it was too easy to take my eyes off the screen I traded it in for the goggles which I love (to each his own).

I'm looking forward to the next generation of Vision. My wish list for the future would include a 3D gimbal and an on screen display (OSD).

One more question! Which device have better gimbal - Phantom Vision 2 or Phantom 2...?

careysb said:
I'm looking forward to the next generation of Vision.

Any news about that...? I am very curious! :)

Thnx and regards from Zagreb, Croatia
D'Art

Pull_Up said:
The Phantom 2 gimbal is obviously better but is only part of the equation in terms of what's best setup for you overall.

Thank you!
Well, generally, I am looking for the device with the better photo / video possibilities, and with better battery!
And, of course, as I already have GoPro Hero3 camera - is it Vision 2 camera good enough to justify higher price of the Vision2?

Thnx!
D'Art

As well as the "which one is better" consideration, you must also ask the question "Which one best suits the needs of my personal application?"

If I wanted to take landscape pictures, I would enjoy the ability to frame the picture and actually see what I am shooting before I shoot it. I'd think that the Vision would make that much easier. And while I could accomplish the same thing with a non-Vision model, I'd have to ask myself "As a UAV tyro, do I want to buy a Vision, camera mount, FPV system, and get it all put together and working?"

Here is a question I have about a GoPro: Does it have the capability to snap stills from the air?? Can you frame the picture with a FPV system, and then "click the shutter button"?

I've had my PV for nearly 2 months now and have immensely enjoyed its (relative) simplicity and ease of use so far... It has gotten me into this hobby quickly, getting FPV, OSD, remote camera+video, all ready to use out of the box.

Now I'm starting to consider getting another Phantom (2 w/ zenmuse) to overcome some of the Vision's limitations.. namely:

1). Range
2). 1-axis gimbal
3). Higher bitrate video, and better high-iso and dynamic range on the camera

Those are listed in the order of priority (for me).. but I'm not really in a hurry because the PV is still really capable and I still have mods to apply to overcome #1 and #2. I'm mainly waiting for DJI's Jan 7th announcement and also for another (any) promotion.

As for #3 is just a bonus for me as they work well enough for my use. Maybe if I'm doing something commercial-like that I'll need the higher bitrate video, otherwise they're perfect (quality vs size) for personal video.

Guys, thank you very much for your answers!
I am very close to the decision to order DJI Phantom 2, with Zenmuse H3-2D camera Gimbal. Now - the final question: is it possible to 'control' it through the IPhone, or I need something bigger - IPad or so?

regards
DArt

Well that's the thing...

Phantom 2 w/ zenmuse, gopro and FPV is not smartphone\tablet controll-able.
The FPV is sent through analog channel (unlike the digital\IP protocol used by PV) and the camera is not remotely-controllable. You have to manually start recording before you fly and manually stop it after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.