Feiyu Tech FY-G3 wiring to Naza 2

Reaction score
I have a phantom v1.1.1 with the naza v2 controller and just received a fy-g2 gimbal from gothelirc.com.

The gimbal is assembled and attached, but I can't figure out the wiring to the naza and can't yet find anything online.

The gimbal shipped with a red,white, and black cable: one end is a 4-plug end that connects to the gimbal but the other end is 2 3-plug ends - one end just has the white wire and the second end has the red and black.

Does anyone know how these connect to the naza v2?

Re: Feiyu Tech FY-G2 wiring to Naza 2

I think I may be closer... I think the white connector goes in F2 so that white is on the bottom and the other red/black connector will go in F1 (red down), though that wouldn't be used?

Then I have to connect power somehow, which is a diff cable...

Another update:

Connected power to the Phantom's Aux Power, connected white to F2 (down), connected Red/Black to F1 ( red down ), and powered up.

The gimbal did not stabilize and just acted wonky - basically like it didn't know what it was doing.

So I completely disconnected the roll and pitch wires from the NAZA and powered up again. This time, the Gimbal leveled itself and behaved as expected. So that's good news.

I then just connected the white wire to F2 and tried again. This time, the gimbal leveled the camera vertically, but didn't level it horizontally.

I then tried the Red to F1 again.. same result. So I flipped Red around so red is on top in F1. Same result.

What am I missing here?

F2 is the port you need for gimbal/pitch - the top and bottom pins only

EMCSQUAR said:
F2 is the port you need for gimbal/pitch - the top and bottom pins only

Which wire would connect to F2 - the white one or the red one (they are on two separate connectors)?

Okay... another update.

Turning gimbal on in the NAZA assistant fixed some of the wonkiness. However, if I leave white in the F2 port, the gimbal toggle on my transmitter seems to control roll instead of pitch?! So I swapped connections around as follows:

White wire is plugged into F1 ( bottom ).
Red/Black is plugged into F2 ( red top ).

Now, the gimbal toggle on the TX controls pitch. Apparently, the white wire is roll.

The other interesting thing is that I had to set the Roll Center Position to 300 to horizontally level the gimbal. Not sure if that is a normal thing or not.

And finally... when I use the toggle on the back of the TX, the gimbal doesn't seem to pitch downward more that 45 degrees. If I manually adjust the pitch in the NAZA assistant by setting Pitch Center Position to -1000, it will pitch almost straight down. So I know the gimbal can do it. Just not sure why the TX won't let it go that far?

Doh! I just tried to see how the gimbal would react when holding the Phantom and tilting it all over the place. The gimbal goes crazy - can't level out and just acts super bizarre. Grrrr...

Aside from the TX gimbal switch not rotating the gimbal through its full range of motion, I think I have it stabilized.

On my version of the FY-G3, the red wire is definitely pitch and white wire is roll. JUST connecting the red wire ( to F2 ) and leaving the white wire completely disconnected from the NAZA seems to straightened out all of the weirdness: it levels as it should when sitting still and it levels when the phantom is tilted.

So the only remaining issue is why the TX toggle won't send it through its full range....

Uncanny timing, I was just looking at one of these gimbals to try modify for the PV. They look pretty light weight compared to the others around the same price. Could you please add photos of the wiring when you get a chance?
Cheers,
morgan

Apparently, recalibrating the x1 stick did the trick to get full range of motion, though I have to have the centered pitch position at -700.

Is that normal, or does it just depend on the gimbal?

Morgan 1983 said:
Uncanny timing, I was just looking at one of these gimbals to try modify for the PV. They look pretty light weight compared to the others around the same price. Could you please add photos of the wiring when you get a chance?
Cheers,
morgan

Morgan,

The wiring isn't finalized as I need to add "real" connectors for the power, but will try to add pics when finished. But... Now that I have finally figured out which wire controls pitch, it is very straight forward.

Man, that was quick. you were just asking about this gimbal , and now your hooking it up. Mine doesn't arrive until monday.
I was reading a review somewhere, and they were telling how to set it up. the numbers you asked about are normal it seems. this guy was saying to start around 500 and work up until you achieved level on the gimbal. I'll see if i can find that article again for you.

here, try this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1uAACbFbYI

Todesengel said:
Man, that was quick. you were just asking about this gimbal , and now your hooking it up. Mine doesn't arrive until monday.
I was reading a review somewhere, and they were telling how to set it up. the numbers you asked about are normal it seems. this guy was saying to start around 500 and work up until you achieved level on the gimbal. I'll see if i can find that article again for you.

I think I already read that post - it was over in the regroups forum.

The biggest thing that threw me off was the wiring designations - I thought white was pitch, but it wasn't - red is. And I thought I needed to connect all wires... I didn't. :)

I'm excited to clean up the wiring and take it for a flight now...

Here are a few pics of the final project.

The first pic shows the side of the gimbal with the power and and roll/pitch cable fished through the same hole the compass ribbon uses.

The second pic shows the wires as I have "fused" them back together with a little solder and heat shrink.

The final pic shows the NAZA connection and you can sort of see the "fused" wiring in the back ground.

I had to fuse the power as I connect it to the Phantom's aux power. I could have routed the pitch/roll wiring around the outside and through the battery door, but snipping the connector and "re-fusing" the wire after routing ( the connector wouldn't fit through the hole ) is much cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 2,119
Bunger; not sure if you've seen the size of the camera off the PV but if you have, do you think the FY-G2 has enough room to fit the PV camera to it? I imagine the PV camera would protrude out the back more than a GoPro when trying to achieve COG on the pitch axis which would cause it to rub against the roll axis arm but you would be better able to make that call than me.
Cheers,
Morgan

Morgan 1983 said:
Bunger; not sure if you've seen the size of the camera off the PV but if you have, do you think the FY-G2 has enough room to fit the PV camera to it? I imagine the PV camera would protrude out the back more than a GoPro when trying to achieve COG on the pitch axis which would cause it to rub against the roll axis arm but you would be better able to make that call than me.
Cheers,
Morgan
I've only seen pics of that camera, but the G3's camera attachment mechanism looks pretty gopro specific...

Well, I got mine installed and hooked up. and yes bunger, the red wire was the one i had to use also. I disconnected the white, and let the built in gyro on the gimbal handle the yaw. I tried it with the Naza, but it seems to be smother letting the gimbal handle it. Was kinda dissapointed to learn that i had to drop the backpack battery from my go pro to get it mounted. But the video trx will power the camera anyway.
The gimbal works great when i tilt the Phantom around by hand, haven't got to try it out in flight yet, dark and raining here.
It seems to be well built, and is solid as a rock when mounted. I like having the control board built into the motor housing, instead of sitting out on one of the frame plates, this should provide more protection for it. Hopefuly i will get to try her out tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic