Fed up with Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal...

Reaction score
So, first, the H3-3D started experiencing the yaw-jerk-left phenomena. And as standard/as always, the gimbal is really good at hitting the safety pins if the yaw motion is too much.

Now, that same motor (the yaw motor) doesn't finish its calibration, and sounds like it is struggling through every motion. The gimbal almost looks like it is doing "the gimbal dance" that we've seen in the latest firmware update, while sounding like it is struggling (almost like a grinding sound).

I'd flown a number of flights, done nothing with the Phantom 2, except sit it upside down so nothing was on or near the gimbal, took it back out for the next flight, stuck the battery in, and turned it on. And suddenly it's acting quirky and won't finish what seems to be its calibration.

I sent DJI a "report" through their useless online system... I call it useless, because apparently reporting warranty issues through their tool makes them send a response saying to call them for warranty issues. How nice. I will do that tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's my first note to them... I will let you know how this works out, but honestly, I have a feeling that the problem is in the design itself (as noted in my note to them):

Subject: Gimbal Failure - need replacement

I have only flown 8 flights so far...
- Purchase date: July 6th, 2014
- Delivery date: July 15th, 2014

It appears I am having a failure of one of the motors/servos on my gimbal (the top most one that orients left and right).

This seems to be the same servo that has problems causing yaw-jerk. My gimbal first started experiencing the yaw-jerk-left issue, and now, when the Phantom 2 is turned on, it never finishes calibrating - the top motor kind of makes a grinding sound and continuously moves left or right.

I have a feeling you have TWO major flaws in your gimbal design, and I need this rectified, since I spent a lot of money on the poorly designed gimbal.

(1) the gimbal is not strong enough to hold yaw setting when flying at the speeds the Phantom 2 is rated for

(2) the gimbal mount safety pins obstruct the gimbal's motion during certain yaw motions

I believe both contribute to excessive wear on the gimbal motor, followed by increased yaw-jerk-left incidents, followed by gimbal motor failure.

Please let me know when you can send a replacement gimbal (and where I should send the defective one). And please let me know that you are addressing your design issue.

We have a film shoot we are preparing for in just ONE week, and would really like to get this resolved before we film. We'd love to plug DJI in our credits - as opposed to post that our aerial shots were impossible to get with our setup because of a flaw in the gimbal we bought from you.

Best,
Robert

Robert Mauro
Star Trek New Voyages: Phase II

OI Photography said:
Robert, can you get a pic of your gimbal while mounted? Or better yet, a vid clip of its behavior when powering on?
Will do.

Ahh, I see now. I assume you've already checked to make sure the top motor isn't rubbing up against the battery or anything, yes?

I saw a post a day or two ago, either on this forum or FB, that had a solution that might be worth trying for you. Basically there's a small set screw in the top part of the frame that can come loose and cause balance and behavior issues. I can't find it at the moment, but I'll keep looking and let you know if I turn it up.

EDIT- Found it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DJIGuys ... 253999879/

Start with the 10th post and read from there.

OI Photography said:
Ahh, I see now. I assume you've already checked to make sure the top motor isn't rubbing up against the battery or anything, yes?

I saw a post a day or two ago, either on this forum or FB, that had a solution that might be worth trying for you. Basically there's a small set screw in the top part of the frame that can come loose and cause balance and behavior issues. I can't find it at the moment, but I'll keep looking and let you know if I turn it up.

I solved that after only the first few flights with the gimbal extension. :(

Attachments

• 1_20140910234725643_1.jpg
    1_20140910234725643_1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 749
OI Photography said:

Thanks so much!!! Joined the group last night, and can see the post as of this morning. I will try this tonight, and report back. :) :D

OI Photography said:

You might have just saved me $400...

That allen screw is easy to get to and tighten (after re-aligning the motor), and the gimbal now calibrates. It feels a little weak, but seems to work fine on ground tests.

Sounds like another is loose (same sound, though much less prominent, seemingly from a different motor), and those are a bit more difficult to get to, requiring a bunch of disassembly, as noted in the links you provided.

Thanks again!
Rob

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik