Feature Idea - Perfect long exposure shots

Reaction score
I came up with an interesting idea - awesome feature for long exposure photography.

The gimbal on the phantom 3 is very stable. The biggest issue for long exposure photography seems to be the YAW axis (at least for me).
The cause is that the Phantom itself can't be that super stable around its yaw axis,
and the camera always follows the rotation of the phantom (YAW)!
(one degree rotation can ruin a good long exposure photo)

So when the phantom rotates 1 degree to the left during a 5sec exposure, the camera would try to get to the new "center" position (just as it is supposed to when you are shooting a video)

The solution>>>
The gimbal yaw would "lock" (tilt and roll is "locked" all the time, it's not changing on its own) as soon as the shutter button is pressed, while the photo is being taken, the gimbal wouldn't follow the yaw of the quadcopter! (this is usually just a few degrees or even less so the gimbal is surely able to counteract)

I believe this would be an awesome feature, we would be able to use longer exposure times and get crispier pictures.

What do you think about it?
smile.gif

Thank you

Reactions: Cerone
I assume you are doing night or evening shots for long exposure?

A simpler method would be to have the lens open wider but a faster shutter and work on photo stacking with a program like Lightroom. You should be able to correct for a few degrees of movement by stacking and then cropping the photo at the end.

I'd pay good money for an app that brought this functionality. One of my favorite things to do with the Phantom is take aerial long exposure images. Something that is almost impossible to do otherwise.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31