FCC regulation

Reaction score
Did I read that the FCC would not allow you to sell video or photos from an unmanned aircraft such as a drone or radio controlled device? That would be something I would have to petition them on. If the NSA can listen in on my phone calls and read my email, I should be able to use an RC aircraft to capture aerial photos.

Tim T.

Are you sure hint hint that footage you just sold, was done on a UAV. I got this nice cable cam that gets me excellent results hint hint.

In other words, they would have to prove that the footage was taken from a UAV and not by other means which would net the same results. I seriously doubt the FAA has the funds or man power to pursue this endeavor, heck the one guy who was all over the news after the FAA tried to crackdown on him still flies UAVs in his business.

Thanks. I figured that first, it would probably never be noticed and who's to say I didn't have someone in an ultralight do it.

Tim T.

tapiot said:
Did I read that the FCC would not allow you to sell video or photos from an unmanned aircraft such as a drone or radio controlled device? That would be something I would have to petition them on. If the NSA can listen in on my phone calls and read my email, I should be able to use an RC aircraft to capture aerial photos.

Tim T.

The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration( is the agency you have to worry about, not the Federal Communication Commission. And, yes, the FAA has jurisdiction over all of the airspace in the country, and they prohibit even lightweight, line of sight, RC aircraft being flown commercially, as in selling images from them.

Not my rules, theirs, but they're real. :(

Well, I have been scouring FAA regs all afternoon and I have yet to find any regulation covering this. I found AC87 that covered radio controlled aircraft must using multiple different keywords, I have not found anything that applies.

Can anyone cite a regulation number? It should not matter whether it is commercial or hobby use and if it is under 55 pounds, and flies under 400 feet in altitude, I do not see any justification for differentiating the two. I highly doubt everyone with a single prop Cessna that is doing aerial photography has a commercial license either.

If I cannot find a regulation in an hour using their search tool, I am under the belief that none exist. If they wish to take me to task, then they need to provide a better method of searching their database. If it is unable to pop something up with radio controlled aircraft aerial photography, then I have exercised due diligence.

Tim T.

tapiot said:
If I cannot find a regulation in an hour using their search tool, I am under the belief that none exist. If they wish to take me to task, then they need to provide a better method of searching their database. If it is unable to pop something up with radio controlled aircraft aerial photography, then I have exercised due diligence.

Tim T.

From the FAA website:

"Do I need to get approval from the FAA to fly a model aircraft for recreation?
No. FAA guidance does not address size of the model aircraft. FAA guidance says that model aircraft flights should be kept below 400 feet above ground level (AGL), should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, and are not for business purposes."

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/uas_faq/

Re: FAA

I would think the FAA regulations are so far outdated from what I found when looking on their site...I'll go ahead and do it...and if they don't like it, then they can come get me and we can resolve it in the courts.

I'm a service disabled veteran owned small business...if they wish to take me to task, let them come.

I searched thru the FAA site.

Didn't take long, here is the clarification on . . ./Advisory_Circular/91-57.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ua ... ce_uas.pdf

You can fly them for commercial use, but you need to apply thru the relevant channels!

Imagine there were no road rules?
No licensing tests?
And no car registration?
How safe would the road be?

Rules and regulations may be one of the best things that can happen to our hobby!!! Once we have them, we can abide by them and get on with flying. The only people I hear having a problem with the current rules, are the people who want to make money, without having to spend money in the right places!

Driffill said:
The only people I hear having a problem with the current rules, are the people who want to make money, without having to spend money in the right places!

You had me at a decent argument right until you devolved into a 'us vs them' or 'you young kids get off my lawn' argument.

mblitch said:
Driffill said:
The only people I hear having a problem with the current rules, are the people who want to make money, without having to spend money in the right places!

You had me at a decent argument right until you devolved into a 'us vs them' or 'you young kids get off my lawn' argument.

As someone who is trying to set myself up legitimately for a commercial photography service, I will kindly ask for people to get off my lawn. Bahahaha :)

When I bought my phantom, I had big plans to contact real estates I know and offer aerial photography of properties etc, as an Australian I'm bound by CASA rules, it is alot more complex for me to get clearance to fly my phantom for commercial use! I will also need licensing to operate my FPV system.

In the fact sheet link I posted above, it has the e-mail contact you would need (in America) to apply for the COA (I think it was called) for the ok for commercial use. For now, my photography service plans are shelved until clearer rules and regs are developed and implemented.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers