FC40 WiFi Camera - open for battery repair

Reaction score
Has anyone opened up the standard camera that comes with the FC40? I need to check some electrical connections and perhaps see about replacing a bad battery or bypassing it with a direct wiring to an external battery. I realize I can rig up the USB charger port to a battery; but, the internal problem may be something else. I was able to easily pop open the front were plastic tabs snap into a clear plastic interior cover. The backside appears to be where the battery is and the back cover is not popping off as easily. Need some pointers. Maybe find out who actually builds these to let me know how the back cover is attached. It does not seem to be glued making it openable. I don't want to wreak a 70$ camera if avoidable. I have searched the forums and internet finding nothing on this topic/project.

once you get the front off there are some super tiny screws that need to come out to get the back off.

Where are these screws? I have already removed one screw that only holds a clip to friction the obvious slide on mount not used with the DJI install. There is a second screw nearby and on the outer edge which when removed seems to have accomplished nothing. Are there other screws hidden under the translucent plastic cover that is under the white exterior front cover?

that clip which should have a tiny black screw holding it. and the other tiny silver colored screw right near that that goes threw the translucent plastic cover are the ones. I don't think there are any others that hold any thing and dont even think the black one on the spring even needs to come out. But you are probably going to still need gently pry the back off once the silver screw is out.

When I opened mine it didnt seem to take much to get the back off once the screw was out. there is some foam tape on the battery that might be stuck to it to.

Here is a link to some fcc files for the camera https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... -201309003 this link will go to a page with a listing of files. Go down about 1/2 till you see the link that says internal photos and you can see some detailed photos to familiarize your self with whats all inside that puppy

That was interesting. Thanks for the link. Saving it for future reference if needed.

Did anyone else's come with the charge adapter shown in those pictures?

Wonderful link with the User Manual, Internal Photos, and FCC Test Report being the most beneficial.

To open the camera consists of 8 clips on the front cover that must be pushed outward against a clearish plastic interior cover, remove the silver screw on the corner, then 8 clips on the back that must be pushed inward from the surrounding side strap. There is no adhesive tape on the battery. The front is hard to unsnap; while the back, once the screw is removed, is much easier going around the outside strap and pushing the strap outward. The link gives plenty of pictures of the various parts and shows this to be an Ambarella A7LS15 camera. The higher res model is: http://www.ambarella.com/uploads/docs/A ... 121713.pdf . It uses the 3.7 LiPo 700mAh squarish battery with three leads; red-blue-black, with red-blue and red-black each 4.0V on my digital VOM. Number on the battery are LP053136AR 700mah mh27673. Seems a strange battery pack sounding like two cells only connected by a common red lead; why?

Also of interest is the small WiFi antenna on the upper edge left side to which the PCB presses to make contact. This is detailed on page 24 of: https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplication ... id=2098471 . On the photos report, it can be seen on the clearish plastic internal cover under the red plastic "record" button. Wonder if one could tap that WiFi connection to produce a stronger signal output back to the operator?

Also of interest is the small WiFi antenna on the upper edge left side to which the PCB presses to make contact. This is detailed on page 24 of: https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplication ... id=2098471 . On the photos report, it can be seen on the clearish plastic internal cover under the red plastic "record" button. Wonder if one could tap that WiFi connection to produce a stronger signal output back to the operator?

Yes you can solder a pig tail to them contacts and attach an external antenna. there is a post about it in the fc40 section of the board "extending the range of the fc40 camera"

For installing an external antenna, see the post of: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18388 I have added an attachment of the picture of the camera shell with instructions for removal. {Could not find how to embed in message on this forum's FAQ nor instructions.} There are so many tabs that breaking one or two probably will have little detriment.

Attachments

• ToOpnCam.jpg
    ToOpnCam.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 924

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20