Fc40 stress crack what is the fix

Reaction score
I've noticed a hair line crack on my fc4o motor mount which fix with glue or rubber compound would be recommended for this don't say new shell
Because it don't thanks

Super glue will work.Get some thin stuff that might soak in through the crack and/or some medium thickness to build up a couple of layers around the cracked area.
I'm in the middle of doing this to my P1 now as part of a major maintainance opperation.
Tomorrow I am going to try an idea I found on a youtube video recently where you mix super glue with talcum powder/baby powder to make a paste and I will lay down a few layers of that paste to add some reinforcement to the motor mount area in the hope of stopping any futher cracking.
Making a thicker paste will help to build up thickness along the lines that are most prone to cracking.

Here's the video I mentioned;

Can you post eBay links for the stuff to fix this
Also does any body know the engine mount screw length on fc40 I don't have mine to hand as on holiday

I'm just using what I have to hand.
I just mixed up a test batch of CA and powder and it looks like one layer will do.
I will see in the morning how hard it sets.
When mixed it turns out like a two part epoxy in consistancy.
The thickness can be varied a lot with more CA to thin it and more powder to thicken it so you can get a neat finnish.

Photos showing before and after applying CA paste filler and the cracks from the under side.
001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG004.JPG
002.JPG

The cracks all follow the webbing so I made the paste thick enough so it would stay thicker allong the webbing not run down to level itself as it will if made thinner.
When mixed the paste stays workable for plenty of time so you don't need to rush and it sets very hard.

Reactions: Mutterranch
Hi,
Just a thought on this.... is using super glue or CA the best idea as it set's hard/stiff which in turn can be brittle. what i'm thinking is something we use to repair nitro/gas car body shells with.
Its called Shoe-Goo, we use bits (cut to size) of plasterboard (dry-wall) tape, apply the shoe-goo with pieces of the tape in the cracked area, the beauty about this stuff is its sets hard and reinforces yet remains flexible which will help with the vibration. After i smashed my car once the front end was only just hanging on, used this stuff on the underside of the shell and from the outer-side you can't tell theirs been a fix, its solid yet flexes.
As I've found a small crack in my Fc40 mount, i'm going to try this out on the inner mount area.
anyone think this would work ?

Photos showing before and after applying CA paste filler and the cracks from the under side.
View attachment 56896 View attachment 56897 View attachment 56898View attachment 56899View attachment 56897
The cracks all follow the webbing so I made the paste thick enough so it would stay thicker allong the webbing not run down to level itself as it will if made thinner.
When mixed the paste stays workable for plenty of time so you don't need to rush and it sets very hard.
Very nice I've done mine now perfect

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20