FC40 does not hover, is this common?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the fc40 and have flown about 10 times and gotten used to compass dance, light sequence etc, i always do the correct startup procedure and have green lights when i take off, i start with both switches up, however as soon as im airborne and i let go of the throttle it drops , is it not suppose to hover like the videos? I have done imu calibration and always do the compass routine before i start. Ps once i swtiched off the remote mid flight to check if my gps even worked and it hovered, rose up then landed itself which proves that gps must work.

any advice would be great

regards

chaghal said:
Hi,

I have the fc40 and have flown about 10 times and gotten used to compass dance, light sequence etc, i always do the correct startup procedure and have green lights when i take off, i start with both switches up, however as soon as im airborne and i let go of the throttle it drops , is it not suppose to hover like the videos? I have done imu calibration and always do the compass routine before i start. Ps once i swtiched off the remote mid flight to check if my gps even worked and it hovered, rose up then landed itself which proves that gps must work.

any advice would be great

regards
No it is not common, should be able to be hands off and hover.
Does your throttle sit at 50%?
When in the software do the controls move 0-100
You may need to calibrate the transmitter
Guess the other question is did you change other settings in the software?
Compass calibration is not required every fight, usually only if moving locations-miles apart.

thanks for the really fast responses ! i have flown in various conditions, normally fairly windy and normally they are a good 5-10 miles apart so on startup i get amber lights, do compass dance , then its all good, then goes through finding gps satellites and 4/5/6 etc and then double green flashing which i assume is good.

Someone on another forum said to try starting in atti and flipping to gps mid flight, i noticed that on the phantom 1 TX it has trims on the yaw throttle on the my one is the newer 5.8ghz fc40 TX which does not have that am i being stupid and missing something? in the software can i check to see if mid point is 50?

On the software when i move the controls the numbers do change, so it seems to be ok, all i did on the software was calibrate imu and set it to return home, thats it...

I just sent my FC40 back today as i couldn't get mine to hover either. Apparently it's a compass issue with mine. I went from getting the green/amber flashes at start up to green/red and couldn't lock into GPS. Tried everything talked to 4 techs, got many tips off forums and still couldn't get it working right. Finally spoke to a DJI USA tech and he suggested me to send back to the dealer for warranty. Had it only one day :( but can't wait to get it back :) good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uh oh pls dont say that lol, mine always seems to find gps satellites , ie its starts with the red flashing then finds 5,6 gps sats etc then its fully green before take off. also when i turned off TX once it flew back to me so i assume its working, home lock also works (intermittently) i think im going to go into naza assistant and check all the settings again then report back. thx for info

Mine was not even a day old and didn't seem to work correctly out of the box. Just wanted to take advantage of the limited warranty and just get it replaced. It should be able to hover like you and I see in the vids. Mine wasn't even close as it just seemed lost. I chose the DJI Phantom because of the GPS lock it offers. Hope the 2nd go around is better. 15-20min of flight time and 3hrs + on the phone with techs :( not fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaghal said:
thanks for the really fast responses ! i have flown in various conditions, normally fairly windy and normally they are a good 5-10 miles apart so on startup i get amber lights, do compass dance , then its all good, then goes through finding gps satellites and 4/5/6 etc and then double green flashing which i assume is good.

Someone on another forum said to try starting in atti and flipping to gps mid flight, i noticed that on the phantom 1 TX it has trims on the yaw throttle on the my one is the newer 5.8ghz fc40 TX which does not have that am i being stupid and missing something? in the software can i check to see if mid point is 50?

On the software when i move the controls the numbers do change, so it seems to be ok, all i did on the software was calibrate imu and set it to return home, thats it...

Did you do basic or advanced calibration, you may as well do it again and do advanced, be sure phantom is on a level surface and away from any electronics. BTW what are the compass readings in software, be sure they are within spec's given. Several videos on this. FYI I once looked at these readings with the phantom sitting on a netbook (turned off and not charging) but it totally screwed up the readings. Moved it off the netbook and all reading were within spec.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic