FC40 Camera VS GoPro - 6 months later

Reaction score
When I bought the Phantom FC40 I did not realize the camera had no sound. At first, I was rather disappointed. The camera obviously is able to provide audio but DJI has scrubbed it from it's brain.....
So, I bought a GoPro Hero 3 White, so I can get sound. Now that I have had it all for more than 6 months, here is what I found, personally, regarding camera work. Please note, I film only for recreational fun, not for professional results nor with any artistic endeavours.
- audio is not important, as we get tired of the noise pretty quick and want to provide some other form of background sound.
- quality of the video in many instances is actually better from the stock FC40 camera (aside from the highest resolution of the GoPro, which I would not use anyway because I do not have the computer power to properly edit it). That fisheye feature of the GoPro sucks most of the time.
- the GoPro's low resolution WiFi output feed makes it nearly impossible to view the image in bright daylight on my tablet / the FC40 cam's WiFi output rendering is much easier to see.
- the GoPro has not quite 600' of connection range at line of sight / the FC40 cam has more than 900' of connection range, I stepped it off in a marked range.
- the GoPro has about 4 seconds of delay between real-time image and what you see on the tablet. This is OK if your Phantom is always in sight. I have no intentions of flying pure FPV, HOWEVER very importantly, I regularly fly behind buildings or trees for a short time period when I lose sight of the drone. At these times, precise timing of what the camera "sees" if very important to me, as it gives me my orientation (when the drone is briefly out of sight). The GoPro is a complete mess regarding this!
- the GoPro costs me between 70 to 100 seconds of flight-time on 2700 mAh batteries. That is a lot because the GoPro weighs considerably more than the FC40 stock camera.

So, my two cents worth: I will use my GoPro for other projects and my Phantom has the stock camera back on it - Don't by a GoPro if you have an FC40, unless you have other uses for a GoPro! :cool:

When I bought the Phantom FC40 I did not realize the camera had no sound. At first, I was rather disappointed. The camera obviously is able to provide audio but DJI has scrubbed it from it's brain.....

Nope they did more then scrub it from brain Its also got no microphone in the camera at all even. They had planed on haveing sound at first with them the changed there mind being it would take up usable band with on the recording and the wifi to also have sound and video. So they scrubbed the idea. Tho there are sill the holes in the cameras body were a mike would be if they had also put a mic in them. But there are some versions of cameras the same maker that makes the fc40 has that do a mic and have have sound.

I found another option that would work to replace the fc40 cam but with no FPV which is SJ4000 action cam. Thats almost as good as a go pro but only weights 58grams with the battery.

Lots of small cams that work, and for those that don't have built-in WiFi, you can always get a wireless SD card and bingo, you have FPV. Although, I have not tried any of the wireless SD cards so I don't know if there is any lagging or delay in the image pushed.
I used to fly cheap little kids' video cams on my nitro helies and some worked with the inherent harmonic vibes and some didn't, you just had to experiment.
Wish they has the wireless SD cards way back then (like 10 years ago or more). In this video you can see what I mean by how the cam becomes stable once the nitro machine had spooled up - in this installation we had no anti-jello pads or anything, the cam was bolted directly to the frame:
http://youtu.be/JWBgAnQj4bk

I always wondered if they wireless sd cards would work for that. Even if you could not do fpv with them that would still be handy to see the videos with out having to take the sd card out to see whats on the videos.

Now the SJ4000 comes with WiFi and no delay so this can be a cheaper solution to a GoPro but you need a Gimbal for best performance and this camera has a built in screen if you use it on other projects as well as the Phantom.

I have not tried on yet, but I think the range on WiFi SD cards is limited to 10 or 15 meters.
The best WiFi push range I know of in this level of cameras is the stock FC40......

I have been thinking about upgrading my FC40 with the GoPro Hero 4 Black. It can make videos in 1080p 120FPS and also 40k 30FPS. But 120FPS in 1080p is very interesting when you are flying around :)
But the price of the GoPro is abit to much atm.

To me, the money is not worth the improvement over the stock FC40 cam. I think I will save up and wait until the Inspire becomes affordable...... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj