fatshark predator 2 range

Reaction score
Iam getting about 200 meters before my fpv starts to flake out..... I would have thought 400 meters minimum(whic isabout a quarter mile) would be normal.

I have Ibcrazy 3 lobe antenna on the 200mw transmitter and the 5 lobe mad mshroom on the fatshark goggles.

The antenna on the TX is point down with a 90 degree connector.... the antenna on the goggles is pointing up with a 90 degree connector

I am flying this in a open field away from buildings and structures...so I don't think multipathing is the issue.

Is this range normal?

Sounds a bit short but I dont use the fatshark setup, I have just recently tried out the IBcrazy bluebeam ultra antennas and initial range tests show it to be similar to my DJI cloverleaf antennas. I flew it to 2km using the DJI 500mw 5.8 TX RX setup just then so maybe the fatshark tx and rx are just rather weak. Have been to 2.5km with the DJI antennas but was a bit windy and my voltage was dropping quicker then I wanted heading out on the last flight.

That sounds very short for your setup. I can get 1.3km with the stock Predator v2 vTX and my own crudely made, poorly soldered Cloverleafs.

A few things to check-

1) SMA Connectors - make sure both your antennas are standard SMA and not Reverse Polarity (RP) connecters. They should have a small pin sticking out like below.... if they don't have the pin that could well explain it.
sma-male.jpg
*image borrowed from some random site!

2) If the above is all present and correct make sure you have selected the correct channel on the goggles.
3) Check you havn't wired the earth/video clead the wrong way round. I did this once and somehow it still gave me a signal (but a really bad one with static all over it).
4) If you access them make sure the solder hasn't broken on any of the antenna 'leaves'
5) If none of the above is an issue then try with the stock antenna and see if there is any difference. These should do 400 meters easy.
6) Change location with stock and upgraded antenna.... before giving up all hope try another clear spot just in case there is some powerful rogue 5.8ghz signal where you are.
7) Power filter - the Predator v2 comes with the additional filter... are you using it? If not try with it, if so try without it. Could be faulty and is very cheap to replace.

It gets said a lot in here but remember never EVER power your vTX or goggles on without the antenna (as a heat sink).... if you know you have done that even once you may well have fried a component on the vTX or vRX in the goggles. I did this once on the stock vTX but got lucky. More of an issue on the higher output 600mw Immersion ones (more power = more heat).

Hope that helps.

Kregh said:
Iam getting about 200 meters before my fpv starts to flake out..... I would have thought 400 meters minimum(whic isabout a quarter mile) would be normal.

I have Ibcrazy 3 lobe antenna on the 200mw transmitter and the 5 lobe mad mshroom on the fatshark goggles.

The antenna on the TX is point down with a 90 degree connector.... the antenna on the goggles is pointing up with a 90 degree connector

I am flying this in a open field away from buildings and structures...so I don't think multipathing is the issue.

Is this range normal?

The Tx range on 200mw seems just about the right usable range you should expect, and about the same as what I had. Sometimes you might get a bit more. Remember, that if you have connected the tx without the antenna on it, you will burn resistors that affect the range. I have the same setup but upgraded the TX to 600mw and love the range... I am yet to test what would be my longest distance, but I always plan on flying LOS and about 1000ft I can barely see the Phantom and Im yet to have any issues with it with the 600mw.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4