Fat Shark Attitude SD Goggles' Image Quality and Low-Light

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just had my maiden FPV flight with the Attitude SD goggles around dusk. Unfortunately, I was not able to see very many detailed images. I could see the following: the sky (no clouds were visible, even though clouds were in the sky), a dark tree line (not individual trees), and two shades of green. I was unable to see the field or any objects on the field below, so it was very difficult to maintain my sense of orientation. I am grateful that I had a spotter. My Go Pro Hero 3 successfully recorded the footage in considerable detail, despite the low-light conditions.

I think that the quality in the image details will improve during daylight flights. Am I correct? What else should I try?

In gratitude,

Fpvpilot

Re: Fat Shark Attitude SD Goggles' Image Quality and Low-Lig

you can adjust the contrast and brightness of the screen, sometimes that can help.
but it'll never be an HD picture, so details like wires and branches can be hard to see.

Gizmo3000 said:
you can adjust the contrast and brightness of the screen, sometimes that can help.
but it'll never be an HD picture, so details like wires and branches can be hard to see.

Thank you, Gizmo3000. I will try making a variety of adjustments on the contrast and brightness settings. The good news is that I do not need to see branches. I would be content with being able to see individual trees and knowing if my Phantom is ascending or descending at this point.

Fpvpilot said:
Greetings,

I just had my maiden FPV flight with the Attitude SD goggles around dusk. Unfortunately, I was not able to see very many detailed images. I could see the following: the sky (no clouds were visible, even though clouds were in the sky), a dark tree line (not individual trees), and two shades of green. I was unable to see the field or any objects on the field below, so it was very difficult to maintain my sense of orientation. I am grateful that I had a spotter. My Go Pro Hero 3 successfully recorded the footage in considerable detail, despite the low-light conditions.

I think that the quality in the image details will improve during daylight flights. Am I correct? What else should I try?

In gratitude,

Fpvpilot

You could consider using added LCD monitor or a Laptop:

http://www.pctechsoft.com/downloads/FPV-OptionA-Receiver-Jumanoc.jpg

jumanoc said:
Fpvpilot said:
Greetings,

In gratitude,

Fpvpilot

You could consider using added LCD monitor or a Laptop:

http://www.pctechsoft.com/downloads/FPV-OptionA-Receiver-Jumanoc.jpg

It looks like I could connect the LCD monitor or a Laptop directly to my Attitude SD goggles with the appropriate cable. Is this correct?

Yes, thats right. You connect your AV-out from goggles to Video In (usually RCA) in DVD, USB capturer or LCD Monitor.
Here is a better diagram, including FatShark components (the other one is for Non-FatShark):

http://www.pctechsoft.com/downloads/FPV-OptionC-Receiver-Jumanoc.jpg

jumanoc said:
Yes, thats right. You connect your AV-out from goggles to Video In (usually RCA) in DVD, USB capturer or LCD Monitor.
Here is a better diagram, including FatShark components (the other one is for Non-FatShark):

Excellent. Thank you very much for sharing this information with me. Do you know where I could find a video capture cable to plug into an iPad?

Fpvpilot said:
jumanoc said:

Excellent. Thank you very much for sharing this information with me. Do you know where I could find a video capture cable to plug into an iPad?

That doesn't has been realesed yet :cry: You are able to export from iPad but not import audio / video :ugeek:

jumanoc said:
Fpvpilot said:
jumanoc said:

That doesn't has been realesed yet :cry: You are able to export from iPad but not import audio / video :ugeek:

That is alright. Where can I find the best LCD display for the most reasonable price?

Fpvpilot said:
jumanoc said:

That is alright. Where can I find the best LCD display for the most reasonable price?[/quote]

This is mine and works great (85 minutes with a 2100 mah battery), but search for your own model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230957150873

$T2eC16NHJGIE9nnWpUn)BRWlWe0TCg~~60_35.JPG

My 8" LCD screen arrived a few days ago. The manual says that I need to power it with the DC 12V adapter that came with it. The adapter looks like it is intended to be plugged into an AC outlet. However, I was under the impression that I could power the screen using a lipo battery. I am very confused. I welcome any clarification anyone can offer.

I power mine with lipo batteries. Same connection as Phantom. Mine also came with AC adapter. Never have used it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fpvpilot said:
My 8" LCD screen arrived a few days ago. The manual says that I need to power it with the DC 12V adapter that came with it. The adapter looks like it is intended to be plugged into an AC outlet. However, I was under the impression that I could power the screen using a lipo battery. I am very confused. I welcome any clarification anyone can offer.

Just use a XT to Jack Power adapter. You can use any 3S lipo (60-70 minutes with an 2100 mah battery). Internal is + external is - . You could change Monitor power jack with a female XT60 connector as option.

XT60-to-Jack-Adapter.jpg

20130601_200523.jpg

Are you using the gopro as your fpv video source or a camera that came with your fatshark setup? Im quite happy with my video f3ed in low light having flown some sunset and even late night fpv using the 3 black in 2.7k30 as my video source. I also use a monitor but the one I got isnt bright enough in daylight as its only 200 or 250 cd/m2 brightness. The feelworld one linked above looks a better option the what I currently have but I have also recently ordered a much better 7 inch screen. Its a bit more expensive just under $300 usd but is 1000cd/m2 which will be plenty bright enough for any light conditions. At least thats what I hope, your fatsharks should be ok in low light I would think this is more a camera issue but playong with brightness and contrast may help you out as is.

martcerv said:
Are you using the gopro as your fpv video source or a camera that came with your fatshark setup? Im quite happy with my video f3ed in low light having flown some sunset and even late night fpv using the 3 black in 2.7k30 as my video source........

I use Hero3 for filming only and I have FPV 520tvl CCD cam for fat shark FPV. I use both at the same time.

Maybe you should try using the hero 3 for the video feed to your FPV tx as the camera your using may not be as good in lower light, using the 3 black I have flown at nite and very late easily seeing where I am going. It should only require a cable from your gopro to tx, as I dont have the fatshark setup I dont know the exact cable you'd need but many people use the gopro as their fpv cam. If you have OSD it may also be possible to have both cameras and set a remote switch via your radio.

I like to use the GoPro for this as I mostly use the phantom for shooting video rather then just flying and this way I see exactly how I am framing the shots plus it does quite well in most lighting.

jumanoc said:
Fpvpilot said:

Just use a XT to Jack Power adapter. You can use any 3S lipo (60-70 minutes with an 2100 mah battery). Internal is + external is - . You could change Monitor power jack with a female XT60 connector as option.

XT60-to-Jack-Adapter.jpg

20130601_200523.jpg

Thank you, jumanoc. I will investigate the XT to Jack Power adapter option.

I had success!!!! Thank you all so much for your assistance. :)

I bench tested my Immersion 5.8 tx/rx using video from Hero 3 black and a Feelworld 7 monitor. This monitor looks to be the same as the "Fieldview 777" monitor, judging from front panel. The problem:

I can get a decent image on the Feelworld only using PAL 1 format and with the Hero 3 switched to PAL. With the Hero 3 on NTSC, I get multiple images and/or vertical rolling no matter what video format is menu selected on the monitor. Being in the USA, I'd like to be able to use NTSC if possible. The Feelworld default is PAL, but is sold as being compatible with both - - and the menu would suggest it is. Just can't get it to work.

Is anyone using either Feelworld or Fieldview with the Hero3 and NTSC??

thanks much,

bumper

jumanoc said:
Fpvpilot said:

XT60-to-Jack-Adapter.jpg

20130601_200523.jpg

hi i also have just bought the fatshark and need a power source. Is this something I can buy? or should I just make one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav