FangsCPO on the ground and in the air.

Reaction score
It's always a fun filled weekend when I can incorporate fun on the ground and fun in the air. I raced in The Ashley Cup 2 (RC Race) this past Saturday and finished 3rd out of 24 in my racing class. :D :D The event is on it's 2nd year running. We do it to raise money for St Judes Hospital. The orginizar is Sean "EgyptSean" Garcia and he does this in honor of his daughter who passed away a couple of years ago in a tragic car accident. She use to raise money for the hospital. So here are my two videos.

This video is my race...sorry...I had to brag a little. Hopefuly I won't get banned since it has nothing to do with multi-rotors....except for the intro so that could get me off the hook.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0PSSRkL-x8[/youtube]

This video is my flyover the racing area with my F550. I went a little to high but it was really cool. I did notice some vibrations when I pushed the F550 a little to fast. Any ideas on how to remove that besides post editing? Should I change the dampeners on my DJI gimbal? I only noticed it when I was really high up there. It also was a windy day....about 10 mph winds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_J0QobVVk[/youtube]

Nice vids, and awesome race(s)!! Was your buggy the black one with the green accents? I think that's cool Ashley's dad puts all that together each year in her name.

As for the buffeting in the vid, I think it was mostly due to a combination of wind, airspeed, and the fact that a 550 with a camera and assorted junk hanging off the frame isn't terribly aerodynamic. You can adjust your dampeners if you want, stuffing foam earplugs in the holes seems to help on many different airframes, but just being careful about not flying straight into the wind esp at higher speeds will help a lot too. The 550 does much better at holding position/course and such in windy conditions than say the Phantom, but there's still a lot of smaller scale vibrations that can show up in your vids in those situations.

Off-topic: Mind if I ask you what your rating was? Or shirt color?

Interesting stuff. Nice coverage for the races, too.

I often start with high altitude shots and then move in for action - the intent is to make the viewer feel like they actually entered the arena.

I agree with OP - the 550 does a good job in wind but I still have to be careful in high speed winds - drifting along in ATTI is the best for me.

OI Photography said:
Nice vids, and awesome race(s)!! Was your buggy the black one with the green accents? I think that's cool Ashley's dad puts all that together each year in her name.

As for the buffeting in the vid, I think it was mostly due to a combination of wind, airspeed, and the fact that a 550 with a camera and assorted junk hanging off the frame isn't terribly aerodynamic. You can adjust your dampeners if you want, stuffing foam earplugs in the holes seems to help on many different airframes, but just being careful about not flying straight into the wind esp at higher speeds will help a lot too. The 550 does much better at holding position/course and such in windy conditions than say the Phantom, but there's still a lot of smaller scale vibrations that can show up in your vids in those situations.

Off-topic: Mind if I ask you what your rating was? Or shirt color?

I was the copper colored truck, I started in second place. I started my Navy career as a DT - Dental Technciain and later force converted to a HM - Hospital Corpsman. I retired a HMCS after 26 years. I served on two carriers (Abraham Lincoln and Nimitz) and since I was medical, I was a white shirt. There's nothing beter than being on a carrier underway and watch aircraft launch just 10-15 feet away from you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers