False (?) Alarm

Reaction score
I was out flying my P4P+ this morning. All going well when BATTERY DAMAGED pops up in the upper left of the screen. I was at 65% remaining power, 300' altitude flying over a high rise construction project. No wind to speak of, maybe 5-7 mph. Sunny and 76 degrees. No warnings of high winds, which often pop up with no real reason. No other warnings.
To say I was concerned is putting it mildly!!
I slowly flew her back home with a constant fear that it would shut down and fall out of the sky.
I got her back on the ground, then looked at battery status screen. Nothing out of the ordinary. All cells within .01v of each other. I shut it down and re-started it. The BATTERY DAMAGED icon remained.
I came home, and restarted it again and it was gone. I looked in the All warnings log and there was no mention of battery warning. Curiously enough, there were several warnings posted there of sensors inoperable - ambient light too weak, which is absurd. It was very sunny.
Here is screen shot of battery:

xxxgx.jpg

Has anyone encountered this before? Really shakes my confidence in this aircraft.

The screenshot you posted above looks okay. If it doesn't happen again on the next flight, then it was most likely just a false alarm.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I tried deep cycling it and test flew it again. Got the same warning after 5 minutes.
I have opened a case and am sending it back to DJI.
I would hope they will replace it. Only 44 charges on it.
We'll see how long this takes............

I tried deep cycling it and test flew it again. Got the same warning after 5 minutes.
I have opened a case and am sending it back to DJI.
I would hope they will replace it. Only 44 charges on it.
We'll see how long this takes............

If it has 44 charges, I believe it's at the end of life... LIPO batteries don't last too long.

The DJI warranty on batteries is supposed to be 6 months or 200 charges, whichever comes first.
I have an Inspire battery with 145 on it and it still works fine.

Last edited:
If it has 44 charges, I believe it's at the end of life... LIPO batteries don't last too long.
Interested to learn the basis for this claim. Pre dating the introduction of LiION with smart battery management electronics (like the DJI packs currently have) in the hobby you could destroy a LIPO pack with less than a dozen charge cycles, this was principally bad charge, storage and usage practices. Cared for properly you will get well over 100 cycles easily with good performance. The electronics have removed most of the need for special care and the users actually understanding the chemistry performance. 44 charges for a battery flown down to 20% on every flight represents less than 35 cycles. You should get a least 3 times that without incident.

Interested to learn the basis for this claim. Pre dating the introduction of LiION with smart battery management electronics (like the DJI packs currently have) in the hobby you could destroy a LIPO pack with less than a dozen charge cycles, this was principally bad charge, storage and usage practices. Cared for properly you will get well over 100 cycles easily with good performance. The electronics have removed most of the need for special care and the users actually understanding the chemistry performance. 44 charges for a battery flown down to 20% on every flight represents less than 35 cycles. You should get a least 3 times that without incident.

Interesting read and thanks for the detail information. That explains a myth I had about this battery. I had bad experiences in the past with other types of LIPOs.

So, DJI sent me a return label, I sent the battery to them. They received it yesterday. I got this email today:
xxxhd.jpg

Looks like pretty good customer service to me......................
:cool:

Reactions: macoman
So, DJI sent me a return label, I sent the battery to them. They received it yesterday. I got this email today:
View attachment 83688

Looks like pretty good customer service to me......................
:cool:

That's what everyone get, until you notice that they are preparing for shipping your battery and stay there for weeks and you started to wondering what is going on... :)

I have batteries well north of 200 charges, life is shorter. may be 15 to 18 minutes. I have had this happen before, talked with DJI they recommended that I run the battery down to 15 percent by flying then after landing leave it on until is was at 3 to 5% percent. This has cured most of the problems. I used to charge the batteries as soon as I returned from flying. Now I have changed to charging the batteries to just before. And never leave them on charge after they are finished. I think this has helped the battery broke problem.

Replacement battery is on it's way........ I have had only 2 occasions to deal with DJI on warranty issues and both went as smooth as anyone could ever expect.

Kudos to them!!

xxxhi.jpg

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic