Falls over in take off.

Reaction score
This may have been discuses but in GPS mode on take off the Phantom wants to tilt over. I have caught it but once it tipped over and hit the props.
What's up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Falls over in take off.

Couple of questions... do you always take off on level ground? I've taken off from a slight tilting surface and nearly had the same thing happen. I think the IMU is meant to warm up fairly level ground or it gets thrown a little?
Payload and weight distribution is worth bearing in mind too. If you have extra kit the NAZA won't compensate very well for it until its in the air.

Hmm. It did have a slight tilt to the take off area. That might just be it.

E

That was it. Level surface, great takeoff.
Nooby mistake.

Thx

I've been off all day today. This thing is like a drug.
Now I just need to get the jello effect out of the footage.
Probably a prop balance issue.

E

Amen to that... I was hoping it'd get me out and about and it is working well for that.

Prop balance is well worth it. I made a homemade one at first but that made things worse. I then bought just the ally clamps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350565339095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649.

I used two identical height glasses to balance it on and it proved that my DIY job was totally fcuked! Its no DuBro of course but it really has worked a treat for me and almost all Jello has now gone (GoPro Hero3 Black in Gopro Skeleton case NTSC 60fps @ 1080p). Proves to me that a proper prop balancer will be a good investment but only if i get much more serious with filming.

My problem is that I'm really not a hobbyist. Not good at tinkering. Now I can troubleshoot with the best of them.
I think when the gimbal comes in that should help on the vibration issue. At least for the price, I sure hope it does.

E

I'd not expect miracles on the Gimbal for sorting bad Jello if it exists at the moment... it will likely have dampeners which will be good but the Hero is very sensitive to it and it all comes from vibration. A gimbal is for stabilising movement/motinon. While Jello is movement of sorts it is so microscopic that a gimbal will never counteract it fully if your props are unbalanced.
I can assure you that a well balanced set of props will make a huge difference and it really is such a simple thing to do (and cheap)... even just troubleshooter can stick a little tape onto a plastic prop (seriously thats all it is! - youtube it) ;-)

edunwody said:
This may have been discuses but in GPS mode on take off the Phantom wants to tilt over. I have caught it but once it tipped over and hit the props.
What's up!

Well, assuming your blades are balanced, first use the NAZA software to re-calibrate your Phantom- both the electronics and the sticks (note that these are two separate calibrations).

Then buy prop guards- they are a life saver if you're new to the game.

Finally, see what happens if you launch the Phantom while holding it. I do this all the time now- hold it by one leg, give 'er a bit of power, and let go. Same thing when it comes back in- I let it come close, and then just grab it out of the air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1