Failure to RTH

Reaction score
My Dad and I are both drone enthusiast and last weekend, the unthinkable happened to my poor pops, he flew around a mountain (more like a rock outcropping), lost signal. These things happen he thought... but he waited and waited until it was certain the RTH had failed. He thinks his return altitude was set too low to raise above the rocks... beings that my dad is in his 60's and crushed by the loss of his most prized possession I figured I would put in the leg work look here for some help... all the information I have from him so far is that it was at "Thumb Butte" in Prescott AZ and a picture from is flight log but I am unsure how to plot any waypoints as all I have from him is this picture. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Brance

Attachments

• IMG_0129.PNG
    IMG_0129.PNG
    7.5 MB · Views: 379
Lots of people here good at figuring these things out. Start with uploading the flight log from the phone or tablet.

This video may help
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Point me in the direction of how exactly to do that??? and I will forward the information to my dad, if he can email me the flight log I will upload it.

My Dad and I are both drone enthusiast and last weekend, the unthinkable happened to my poor pops, he flew around a mountain (more like a rock outcropping), lost signal. These things happen he thought... but he waited and waited until it was certain the RTH had failed. He thinks his return altitude was set too low to raise above the rocks... beings that my dad is in his 60's and crushed by the loss of his most prized possession I figured I would put in the leg work look here for some help... all the information I have from him so far is that it was at "Thumb Butte" in Prescott AZ and a picture from is flight log but I am unsure how to plot any waypoints as all I have from him is this picture. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Brance
Sorry for his loss but I think you might have hit the nail on the head there. I don't know the area at all but looking at the associated heights of takeoff and lost signal location here:- Altitude.nu - Find the elevation of any place , I would guess that unless your dad's drone's RTH height was set at 150+ metres above takeoff, then the drone would have tried to return home in a straight line and gone straight into that rocky peak, which looks pretty formidable on Google Street View.

Still, all may become clearer after analysis of the log file after you have uploaded it as requested above. You might also be able to have a better idea of where to search for it if you want to. Are you into climbing? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.