Failsafe

Reaction score
I am still getting to grips with my Phantom, please bare with me. Right so Reading several posts I understand that the S1 switch can be customised to have failsafe in Naza m mode. Now when I'm in my assistant software I'm currently in phantom mode, but it already shows that last position is failsafe? I have not tried it can anybody expand on this

I have a phantom 2.4ghz. V2.0 by the way is this the latest version?

the switch is marked as "failsafe", however the function isn't activated until you switch your Phantom into Naza mode.

don't wanna teach granny how to suck eggs, but to change to Naza mode just click the word "phantom" on the top of the asst software page and accept the warnings.

Whilst your in there, setup IOC on S2.

Turbazz said:
I am still getting to grips with my Phantom, please bare with me. Right so Reading several posts I understand that the S1 switch can be customised to have failsafe in Naza m mode. Now when I'm in my assistant software I'm currently in phantom mode, but it already shows that last position is failsafe? I have not tried it can anybody expand on this

The failsafe works in the phantom mode without switching to the Naza mode in the assistant software.

Here's how it works. Once you have acquired home lock fly down range 100 yards or so and about 20 feet in the air while your quad is hovering switch from GPS to Failsafe. Now your quad will start to rise in the air to 65' (20m) and turn towards you then start to fly to the home lock position from which it took off. Once it reaches home lock it still 65' above and will hover for a few seconds then start to land. All this is done using GPS coordinates. Word of warning make sure your are not under or behind anything before using failsafe.

You can regain control of the quad at any time while it is in failsafe by switching to either ATTI or GPS modes. I use failsafe when I am distracted and lose sight of it or disorientated.

Confusing one person says it doesn't one person says it does lol

Look I use the failsafe while in the the phantom mode. There is no doubt that the information given by "crash1sttime" was in error. :eek: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN NAZA MODE TO USE FAILSAFE.

This is ponderous.
Typically in 'Phantom mode', S1 is really only used for compass calibration initiation and does not allow mode switching.
If I recall on my P2 nv, while the FC was in Phantom' mode, S1 was set to 'Normal Fly' for all three positions according to the Assistant program.

Of course shutting off the Tx will always initiate a fail-safe RTH.

Is this where the confusion may be?

No jason is saying failsafe can be used in phantom mode via s1. That right jason?
I don't think he meant by switching off

Seems contrary to my recollection but it's been awhile since I switched over (May '14).

N017RW said:
This is ponderous.
Typically in 'Phantom mode', S1 is really only used for compass calibration initiation and does not allow mode switching.
If I recall on my P2 nv, while the FC was in Phantom' mode, S1 was set to 'Normal Fly' for all three positions according to the Assistant program.

Of course shutting off the Tx will always initiate a fail-safe RTH.

Is this where the confusion may be?

1) While it is true that you cannot change from phantom to naza with S1. Those modes can only be changed in the assistant software.

2) S1 is not only used to calibrate the compass it is also used to fly in GPS, ATTI (manual) and last of all Failsafe (return to home)
modes.

3) S2 can be used to change home lock and also for course lock and home lock when setup in the naza mode using the assistant
software.

This is what I was thinking Jason because I can see the option is highlighted for fail safe! Then I'm reading all these posts that you need to switch. :roll:

Jason,

You have further veered from the crux of the current discussion which is:

Whilst the FC is in 'Phantom' mode, Can S1 be [re]programmed to include fail-safe at the #3 or bottom position.

I and others have said NO. That is my recollection.

That's it.
I can accept whatever the consensus is as I'm not ever going back anyways.

Yes, that's possible. Don't recall it in the release notes (there's that recollection disclaimer again ;) ).

Turbazz said:
Maybe new updates have changed this

Here's a link to the manual v1.2 which the latest. There was another manual edition that came out after phantom crashed on the White House lawn V1.4 along with firmware update but that firmware was pulled off the site but the manual is still there.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.2_en.pdf

Myself I use failsafe when i'm distracted by someone asking questions or simply lose sight of it.

Maybe it's time for N017RW to refresh his recollections on how S1 works by also reading the manual.

From the manual. It does not say you have to be in Naza to do it while they do specify it for the IOC. Just an omission?

S1 is for compass calibration. Toggle the S1 switch from
position-1 to position-3 and back to position-1 at least 5
times, which will force the aircraft to enter into
compass calibration mode.
Users can configure position 3(bottom position) of the
S1 switch to trigger the Failsafe in the Assistant.

S2 is the IOC mode switch. IOC (Intelligent
Orientation Control) function can be enabled in the
Assistant when in Naza-M mode. Only use the IOC
function after you are familiar with flying.

Marlin009 said:
From the manual. It does not say you have to be in Naza to do it while they do specify it for the IOC. Just an omission?

This whole discussion about failsafe and Naza mode came about by an error made by crash1sttime that in order to use failsafe one had to be the Naza mode.

Turbazz said:

crash1sttime said:
the switch is marked as "failsafe", however the function isn't activated until you switch your Phantom into Naza mode.

don't wanna teach granny how to suck eggs, but to change to Naza mode just click the word "phantom" on the top of the asst software page and accept the warnings.

So does this all make sense now? :eek:

jason said:
Marlin009 said:

This whole discussion about failsafe and Naza mode came about by an error made by crash1sttime that in order to use failsafe one had to be the Naza mode.

Turbazz said:

crash1sttime said:

So does this all make sense now? :eek:

Yeah, I'm aware. The comment about the omission was just that this manual is about the most user-unfriendly thing I've ever seen.
You said you'd flown it that way, that's good enough for me. I switched it to Naza after a couple of flights. No downside to it.

I agree it is poorly written but it's all in the translation. The Chinese need a English Technical Writer to translate these manuals.

Sometimes it's good to see what the manual says rather than what people thing it says.
Here's what the manual says.
It's clear and unambiguous and it does not agree with what has been said above.
i-zpmPtTP-L.jpg

Oh.. and just to clarify something that was quoted above.. ATTI mode does not equal "Manual" mode... that's a whole new ball game!
ATTI mode essentially turns off GPS position hold and increased the tilt limits so you can go faster.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20