Failsafe is autolanding and not going home

Reaction score
I had this happen two times yesterday and I want to get your thoughts on the issue. I had done a round of shooting and I wanted to get one last shot in so I went out, started to loose the video signal so I started to come back and call it a day, I decided to put it in failsafe mode since I lost it in the sun (yes I did not have line of sight the whole time). I looked back at the monitor and I could see it was not heading home. It appeared to be just lowering down. I took back control and brought it back to me without an issue but I thought that was strange.
I did a second shoot that day. I went out about 50 feet up and 100 feet out and I tested the failsafe switch. No issues, everything was fine. I did the same thing as before and wanted to get one last shot at the end of the shoot and it did it again. This time I lost video signal and then I lost control signal. I put it in failsafe mode and it did not come back. I did not have line of sight, or video feed, or control signal. OH SH... Luckily I have a Flytrex Live. I had to shut down the wifi on my phone as the monitor and turn on the wifi hotspot on the phone to use my ipad to load flytrex live and find out where it was. It auto landed in the golf course I was filming but was in the rough. Long story short I drove around, jumped a fence and everything seems to be OK.
Here is my theory and I want to get your thoughts. I believe I was on low battery warning when I lost the signal or I turned on the failsafe mode. It was not critically low and still had plenty to get me back to when I started and then some. Is this correct that when failsafe mode is activated on a low battery it will just auto land and not return to home?

OK after posting this I decided to RTFM once again. Here is what I believe is happening. I am having another issue with the home lock sometimes going the opposite direction of what is suppose to do. I believe it happened again here. I went out and lost the video signal. I put it in home lock and pulled back on the controller to have it come back home. It went the opposite way and went farther from me. I then lost the control signal. Upon losing the controls signal in home lock mode, it went into failsafe which it then autolands as it is suppose to do in home lock mode.

Here is my flytrex info.
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-wheat-craft-ryan-boucher-a24gTNly/
You can see in the first diagonal line across the course was after a control signal loss and it RTH. Now zoom into the area where it lands and you can see where I tried to have it come back home with home lock and it went the opposite direction and then autolanded. I might need to post this as a different issue as I have seen it before but I wanted to try to replicate it and find a cause.

Has anyone else seen this or know why this might be happening. Be careful. My next flight was going to be over Lake Michigan that day and decided to call it a day until I could find out what was wrong. That would have been a bad day to have it autoland 2000 feet from shore.

Good to RTFM Is your failsafe configured correctly? Meaning are you telling it to land at its current location or fly home at X altitude and land "at home"

THis is the configuration i'm talking about:
Assist-7cc.jpg

I have had a situation when on the ground I had 6 but airborne less.

But a bit odd.

This is exactly why people should invest in a GPS tracker. Mine did the same thing and autolanded a few hundred yards before coming home on a small side street. I would have never known if it wasn't for the tagg pet tracker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl