Failsafe 3rd option?

Reaction score
The failsafe options are return home or land.

Neither of these are particularly exciting when you cant work out exactly where your quad is in relation to its surroundings. It would be nice if there was a 3rd option, return home via track. So if you are flying in the mountains, and you lose signal your bird does not return home into the side of the mountain. I can never tell how high the mountain is around me, 1000ft, 1100ft. So the option to return via track may better than letting your bird fly to 1000ft on 30% battery? Sure you can set the height to well exceed that, then you are faced with a vastly reduced flying time.

Thoughts?

That sounds good if I understand you right. That would be the quickest way back instead of going to the height specified in the failsafe settings.
The logic being that the bird had already made it to where it is when RTH is initiated (initiated by you or failsafe) so that means you had already cleared any obstacles in your path.
Could save battery enough to get you home.

There is now also a third fail safe feature. Hover.
I'm still learning and not quite understanding the benefits of this choice.

RedHotPoker

The failsafe options are return home or land.

Neither of these are particularly exciting when you cant work out exactly where your quad is in relation to its surroundings. It would be nice if there was a 3rd option, return home via track. So if you are flying in the mountains, and you lose signal your bird does not return home into the side of the mountain. I can never tell how high the mountain is around me, 1000ft, 1100ft. So the option to return via track may better than letting your bird fly to 1000ft on 30% battery? Sure you can set the height to well exceed that, then you are faced with a vastly reduced flying time.

Thoughts?
As far as I knows the tracks are only recorded in the Go-app and I don't think the P3 itself is able to record tracks.
So if you lost control/connection the P3 has to rely on its own capabilities.

RedHotPoker
Let us know what you find out-- you are the beta guy around here:D

As far as I knows the tracks are only recorded in the Go-app and I don't think the P3 itself is able to record tracks.
So if you lost control/connection the P3 has to rely on its own capabilities.

Essentially it is acts as a mission plan in reverse, I dont see why it cannot, it already writes the flight log to the bird

Essentially it is acts as a mission plan in reverse, I dont see why it cannot, it already writes the flight log to the bird
Maybe your idea will be an option when DJI releases waypoints and the other features some of us are waiting for?

That would be cool, setting different altitudes and rth routes at different wpts too.

I figured out one thing the hover might be good for in fail safe. which would be if flying indoors in a large building were there are things that could block the control signal. Tho if it just landed might work just as well depending on the situation.. But one thing that would not be cool is if it tried to fly up to the ceiling and then tries to return to the home point in a direct straight line..

I figured out one thing the hover might be good for in fail safe. which would be if flying indoors in a large building were there are things that could block the control signal. Tho if it just landed might work just as well depending on the situation.. But one thing that would not be cool is if it tried to fly up to the ceiling and then tries to return to the home point in a direct straight line..

Good point. I only used hover once outside on a field were I didnt want my drone flying by itself if rth activated, I would just go to it myself and land or pick it up (short test flight). I guess other situations would use it too: boat comes to mind.

since we fly our drone in line of sight, so the drone will be visible at all stage of your trip, ie: return home will be safe with no obstacles in front of it ... Logic ???

Reactions: Michael Collins
since we fly our drone in line of sight, so the drone will be visible at all stage of your trip, ie: return home will be safe with no obstacles in front of it ... Logic ???

Sure, but if you are flying for testing like I was (within arms reach), with trees and urban obstacles areoun and not so reliant on failsafe, it makes some sense. Better to have it hover near me than go up and around.

Reactions: Nizar Ghosn
No, not all the time.
... Most of it ... !!! come on gentlemen you know that, we couldn't fly our p3 in an obscured area, maybe behind a tree or a thin bush but not frequently very rare right !!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20