Failed Upgrade -> dead Phantom2+

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I've been flying happily for quite a while now but have struck my first problem today. I was caught in a small rain storm today and put the Phantom and controller under a rock ledge to keep it dry.
As the rain went on, some water (only a little) dripped from the roof of the ledge onto the Phantom. After 5 minutes the rain stopped and when I put a new battery in the machine and connected the app, I got an error message that said Compass Error - maintenance required. According to the app the Phantom couldn't see any satellites. I tried powering off and on again but with no improvement. I tried the motors and they worked fine. LEDs were flashing yellow and the tiny LED on the gimbal was red.

I went home and tried again - still the same, motors worked but no GPS and the gimbal pointed half down although the app said it was full up and couldn't change that through the app. Lights still flashing yellow. I couldn't find any water inside but used a hairdryer to blow warm air on it.

So I tried connecting to Phantom 2 assistant and it showed all kinds of data and then started an update - can't remember what but it said it would fix something about the gimbal. After a minute I got the message that the upgrade had failed - try again. Since then the Phantom is stuffed. I can't get the computer to recognise it on USB - tried 2 computers and two cables, restarting etc etc - there is no way it is going to communicate with a computer. When I power up the Phantom it sings its song, the LEDs flash red once and go out and that's it. There is a red LED blinking on the starboard side and the small LED on the gimbal is off. And I can't start the motors either.

I've spent all afternoon looking into this and crawled all over Google with no luck. I've reloaded drivers and software too. With no USB connection to a computer it's hard to get any idea what the situation is.
Does anyone have an idea?

Sounds like you more or less tried the obvious stuff.
I'd be hoping the damp got to it somewhere and next morning all would be well.

That gimbal update really shouldn't have been able to wreck the whole firmware surely?
It probably failed due to some connectivity issue developing part way through.
Maybe the moisture actually got in the usb port and ... ?

Looks like the PC330 upgrade failing was the big block.
Removing and reinstalling the Phantom 2 Assistant software twice until the upgrade has now completed successfully has partially fixed things.
Communication with the PC works now and I can again run the motors with flashing yellow the motors with LED lights.
App says battery is at 0% and no SD card fitted - both incorrect
No life at all in the gimbal. App says camera is full up but it is just dangling.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj