FAA's drone operator app

Reaction score
Found this in the news. If all they want is not to fly over crowds or near airports, that is only common sense.

Copy and paste from news.

By The Associated Press

LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The latest developments surrounding the consumer-electronics show in Las Vegas known as CES (all times local):

12:30 p.m.

The Federal Aviation Administration says it has developed a smartphone app to show drone operators where it's OK to fly and what areas are off limits.

FAA Administrator Michael Huerta also announced at a news conference at the CES gadget show in Las Vegas that by early Wednesday, 183,061 operators had registered their drones as new rules require.

The FAA launched online registration Dec. 21. Officials say they hope registration will help them trace drones caught flying too close to manned aircraft or over crowds, and create a "culture of accountability."

The smartphone app, B4UFLY, uses maps that identify the operator's current location and restricted areas in a radius around the operator. It's available now for Apple devices from the App Store and for Android devices from the Google Play Store.

The FAA's drone-operator app aims to keep the buzzing gadgets out of restricted zones

Who's going to install a tattle tell app on their phone?
It's not really a tattle tale app............................ when you open it, it shows you if there are airports, heliports or military airspace nearby. Period. As far as I know.

The FAA launched online registration Dec. 21. Officials say they hope registration will help them trace drones caught flying too close to manned aircraft or over crowds, and create a "culture of accountability."

Sounds like tattle tell to me. That app will report back, just wait.

For now, we won't know. It's not available yet.

I'm good! I'll skip this app.

My aviation apps will let me know where Class B and C airspace is. I'm very familiar with the D airspace near me and since E is 'everywhere else' I only have to stay out of class A. If my UAS reaches class A airspace then I would have probably set some record!

CASA in Australia have also released such an app. It appears to be identical in functionality to the FAA app with regulations applied to this juristiction. Undoubtedly collusion here with "5-eyes Alliance" countries, driven by Homeland Security agendas.

Last edited:
I was a Beta tester for this app. I checked it a couple of times to see if the locations I fly are in no-fly or restricted zones. Besides the small airports around my area there is nothing that flags my to not fly. I stopped using it as of late since I am not flying due to endless snow.

............ I stopped using it as of late since I am not flying due to endless snow.
Just endless cold down here. Upper 30's most days. I know that's not cold for a lot of you, but we're used to the 100's during summer and I get cold below 50!

I have installed the B4UFLY app and deleted it soon after that. The app is good and has potential but it SUCKS from one point of view:
it ONLY stays in vertical position on my ipad mini 2. When I use the pad for drone flying I ether have to flip the pad or twist my head to see it normal. Developer should make the app able to flip horizontal. Thai I will install it again.

I have flightradar24. It shows me al planes in the area and airports too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4