FAA study shows real pilots do not make better UAV pilots

Reaction score
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOzCiCl05Ec[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOzCiCl05Ec&t=24m28s

Fast forward to 24minutes 28seconds.

"FAA studies shows that pilot with real flight experience in manned aircraft actually makes worse UAV pilots than those with no flight experience... They bring in a skill set they don't need and a set of expectations they shouldn't have when flying a UAV."

So why does the FAA want to require a pilots license in order to operate one commercially?

-Scott

Re: FAA study shows real pilots do not make better UAV pilot

That's quite interesting. I think the reason behind the proposed pilots license rule is because it's an easy way to make sure everyone flying them knows the rules.

sbarton said:
So why does the FAA want to require a pilots license in order to operate one commercially?
They are saying it's required by 49 USC§ 44711 -- which states the following:

A person may not serve in any capacity as an airman with respect to a civil aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance used, or intended for use, in air commerce without an airman certificate authorizing the airman to serve in the capacity for which the certificate was issued

In one of the petitions the FAA approved on 12/10/14, the company petitioning for requested relief from that requirement. Here is what the FAA said:

Regarding the petitioner’s requested relief from 14 CFR 61.113(a) and (b) Private pilot privileges and limitations, Clayco requested regulatory relief to operate its UAS without an FAA - certificated pilot. Although Section 333 provides limited statutory flexibility relative to 49 USC§ 44704 for the purposes of airworthiness certification, it does not provide flexibility relative to other sections of 49 USC. The FAA does not possess the authority to exempt from the statutory requirement to hold an airman certificate, as prescribed in 49 USC§ 44711.

the FAA is requiring a pilot certificate for UAS operations for two reasons, the first of which is to satisfy the statutory requirements as stated above. The second is because pilots holding an FAA issued private or commercial pilot certificate are subject to the security screening by the Department of Homeland Security that certificated airmen undergo. As previously determined by the Secretary, the requirement to have an airman certificate ameliorates security concerns over civil UAS operations conducted in accordance with Section 33.

Therefore, the FAA finds that a PIC holding a private pilot certificate and a third - class airman medical certificate is appropriate for the proposed operation.

There is no pilot certificate for flying a UAV. So, I don't know why the FAA is pointing fingers at 49 USC§ 44711.

Souper1211 said:
I think the reason behind the proposed pilots license rule
This is not an FAA rule. It's the law.

Souper1211 said:
That's quite interesting. I think the reason behind the proposed pilots license rule is because it's an easy way to make sure everyone flying them knows the rules.

And it gives them a means to sanction pilots they think are unsafe. They can revoke your airman's certificate.

Kind of sort of on/off topic......As a long time RC helicopter pilot....not very good, but long time.....with the knowledge and skill it requires to fly rc helis, I've always had the belief it would be easier for rc pilot to fly a real helicopter than it would be a real heli pilot to fly rc.
Just a lazy day sitting in my Christmas bliss making observation..... :)

Pilot of 20 years, my $.002 is that it's all bs. The government wants to regulate everything. They make money. Regulate all you want, try enforcing it. I feel very strongly about "regulation" when it means nothing. Big brother wants to keep an eye -or at least present the notion to the general public that they're on top of it or in control when in fact they're not . Just as the TSA is as worthless as tits on a bull so is the promise of regulating drones and drone use. Most can build them in this basement with parts purchased freely anywhere and fly them ,unregulated anywhere ,anytime from their backyard to distances spanning tens of miles at altitudes in the tens of thousands.
Their regulation is a show but a costly one for rc and drone enthusiasts. Just as in gun regulation drone regulation will entail burdening those of us who are legal and lawful already and will fail miserably in preventing those who would have broken the law anyway from breaking the "law".

bald1eagle said:
Kind of sort of on/off topic......As a long time RC helicopter pilot....not very good, but long time.....with the knowledge and skill it requires to fly rc helis, I've always had the belief it would be easier for rc pilot to fly a real helicopter than it would be a real heli pilot to fly rc.
Just a lazy day sitting in my Christmas bliss making observation..... :)
Pilot for 46 years, RC pilot for 41. I learned to fly, then had a long period in which I didn't really do any flying. Got into RC during that time. Then I got back into flying big time and put on over 1700 hours in general aviation aircraft including building a couple of homebuilts. Did do occasional RC during that time. I don't really think the two can be compared. Flying "real" airplanes employs "seat of the pants" - physical feedback, not just visual. Flying RC is all visual. The closest you come to RC in piloting an airplane is when you are on instruments, when you have to trust what you are seeing, not what you are feeling.
I'm a good Pilot, a pretty good RC Pilot. But, I am absolutely horrible at video simulated flying (x-box, Windows Flight Sim, etc.)
I am beginning to get the hang of FPV with my Phantom 2, but I think, as a "real" pilot I am somewhat held back.
So, I will say the FAA study is probably right, I think the learning curve for UAV pilots is longer if they are "real" pilots first.
However, I think the years of training and experience of "real" pilots gives them an edge over the guy who opens up the box and takes off with his Phantom. We are trained to be more careful, think about what we are doing and look for other aircraft and stay out of their way. So, I think that some kind of training for UAV pilots is inevitable, but there definitely should NOT be a requirement for a "real pilot's certificate" - even for commercial operation of a UAV.

All flying be it real or rc requires a skill set. All require safety be applied with the nod going towards the real plane/helicopter pilots because of the passengers/size/possible ground damage and such. Clearly the real flying pilots should be licensed without exception.
I feel there are just too too many regulations for the regulators to try and blend the requirements/regulations for real aircraft pilots and rc pilots. It's crazy and too complex which is why there are so many discussions going on about this rule applying to this and that rule applying to this yet this rule doesn't really have anything to do with anything other than it got shoved through some over burdened system and became a law or whatever you'd like to call it.

Make rules/regulations for real aircraft. FINE, we should all be able to agree to this. BUT have a completely separate and removed set of rules/regulations for radio controlled. The masses will never understand or follow a complicated amalgam of regulations for there new hobby shop bought flying machine.....their going to open the box and fly screaming yeehaw!

Granted the buying public needs to know the "rules" and safety concerns and except the responsibility's associated with their new flying machine. Somehow get these "rc" regulations in their hands so they will be informed.

Just 2 more cents worth

diverjeb said:
Pilot of 20 years, my $.002 is that it's all bs.

Yeah, I have to agree. Funny stuff though! :lol:

They're (the FAA) also gonna want collision avoidance systems, you know they are. Might not be right away, but soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik