FAA Rules and reality of flying?

Reaction score
Might be hard to answer in public forums but how do you balance the FAA rules of "must keep aircraft in sight" with the reality of photography/video. If I go to an open field to launch, once I'm airborne the tall trees around me will block my ability to see the drone once I get to the destination I want to photograph. Never flown one before so guidance appreciated.

Best... Steve

once I'm airborne the tall trees around me will block my ability to see the drone
You don't want to fly your drone behind tall trees. The signal will become weak and/or disconnect.

Yes, do not count on the very high frequencies used for the Lightbridge link to penetrate trees or objects very well in spite of what specs may say regarding range -- those numbers are for clear line of sight.

Regarding your main question... it's basically a matter of judgment, for instance does everyone try to contact the operator of a lightly-used non-tower airport 4.5 miles away when they're flying at 100'? Just use good judgment and err on the side of caution and you'll be OK.

Reactions: eneilsen
I agree with the responses thus far. Just a judgement call and it may be risky. If you are a hobbyist and fly for fun, well, according to the new FAA rules you must remain line of sight. If you have passed the Part 107 exam and are flying this kind of mission commercially, you could apply for a certificate of waiver to fly beyond line of sight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj