FAA registration for an N number

Reaction score
Well I thought i did everything right and followed all the directions from the FAA and posted here...but got a letter back from the FAA that I hadn't included an affidavit with the name and address of the seller...which I did but mysteriously wasn't returned. It was an Amazon receipt with proof of delivery as well as a notarized statement as required by the FAA. But now they also want this...

A full description of the UA provided by the manufacturer, builder or applicant in a Notarized statement.
sUA Required Description Items
  • Full Legal Name of UA Manufacturer or Builder
  • sUA Model Designation
  • sUA Serial Number
  • Class (Airplane, Airship, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane, Ducted Fan)
  • sUA Maximum Takeoff Weight
  • Category (Land, Sea, or Both)
  • Name of Engine Manufacturer
  • Engine Model Designation
  • Engine Serial-Numbers (if none shown, enter 'none')
  • Number of Engines
  • Engine Power Output (given in HP or Lbs. Thrust)
  • Engine Type (2 or 4 Cycle Reciprocating, Electric,
    Turbo - Fan/Prop/Shaft/Jet)
How have others dealt with this when requesting their N numbers or did I just luck out on the examiner who opened the envelope? Also tried to call the FAA for help but ' due to the high volume of calls we have received we cannot accept your call at the moment." click.

So..where did I go wrong. Oh..the letter also said " United States registration number N has been assigned" Huh?

Andrew

Absolutely amazing amounts of red tape to fly a toy legally. Somebody is suppressing free enterprise.

Being a newbie here I want to get the FAA Registration is it hard and how long does it take? Is there follow step guide?

Being a newbie here I want to get the FAA Registration is it hard and how long does it take? Is there follow step guide?

There are two parts..one is registration and the second is an exemption. If you are going to fly commercially you will need to petition for an exemption. There's really no point to registering your craft and trying to get and N number of you're not going to fly commercially. Neither is simple or straight forward but here are some links that may help. And if you are going to file for an exemption I think you will still need a pilots license but there are various pilot licenses that will be acceptable.

Petitioning for Exemption under Section 333

Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)

Well I thought i did everything right and followed all the directions from the FAA and posted here...but got a letter back from the FAA that I hadn't included an affidavit with the name and address of the seller...which I did but mysteriously wasn't returned. It was an Amazon receipt with proof of delivery as well as a notarized statement as required by the FAA. But now they also want this...

A full description of the UA provided by the manufacturer, builder or applicant in a Notarized statement.
sUA Required Description Items
  • Full Legal Name of UA Manufacturer or Builder
  • sUA Model Designation
  • sUA Serial Number
  • Class (Airplane, Airship, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane, Ducted Fan)
  • sUA Maximum Takeoff Weight
  • Category (Land, Sea, or Both)
  • Name of Engine Manufacturer
  • Engine Model Designation
  • Engine Serial-Numbers (if none shown, enter 'none')
  • Number of Engines
  • Engine Power Output (given in HP or Lbs. Thrust)
  • Engine Type (2 or 4 Cycle Reciprocating, Electric,
    Turbo - Fan/Prop/Shaft/Jet)
How have others dealt with this when requesting their N numbers or did I just luck out on the examiner who opened the envelope? Also tried to call the FAA for help but ' due to the high volume of calls we have received we cannot accept your call at the moment." click.

So..where did I go wrong. Oh..the letter also said " United States registration number N has been assigned" Huh?

Andrew
same thing happened to me - sent in 8050 form, received a letter back from FAA, said they cashed my $5 check, they needed more info including the corporate offices of Amazon - they did however accept my Amazon receipt as a bill of sale - interesting

Thanks for the info! I was told if you are making money from using the bird then you need to get a license. Using my bird for video photography for weddings and for real estate

same thing happened to me - sent in 8050 form, received a letter back from FAA, said they cashed my $5 check, they needed more info including the corporate offices of Amazon - they did however accept my Amazon receipt as a bill of sale - interesting

Did you get your N number? Been on the phone with them twice and they really have no guidelines or protocols for handling this type of application. Pilots call it uncoordinated and uncontrolled flight. It really seems to be a crap shoot depending on who opens the envelope in Oklahoma City.

This thread reminds me again why I get so frustrated with inefficient bureaucracy. It's so backwards that I really commend anyone who completes the process and gets their exemption.

Reactions: JoBe
Did you get your N number? Been on the phone with them twice and they really have no guidelines or protocols for handling this type of application. Pilots call it uncoordinated and uncontrolled flight. It really seems to be a crap shoot depending on who opens the envelope in Oklahoma City.
No I have the forms they mailed me on my desk - I just have to muster up the patience to read again what they want - all I want to do commercially is photograph high pitched roofs that cannot be safely climbed on - I inspect real estate - the photos of roofs from above and from different perspectives from the P3 provide excellent detail (just practicing on friends houses) even for those that can be walked on

Andrew,

I received my FAA exemption yesterday, but am getting caught up on the letter I need to submit claiming that my LLC is in effect the US Citizen applying for the registration. Did you go this route and can you share an example? An example of the spec letter you had to send would also be very helpful. If anybody else needs exemption request examples, please just ask.

Buzz

Andrew,

I received my FAA exemption yesterday, but am getting caught up on the letter I need to submit claiming that my LLC is in effect the US Citizen applying for the registration. Did you go this route and can you share an example? An example of the spec letter you had to send would also be very helpful. If anybody else needs exemption request examples, please just ask.

Buzz
Buzz,

I applied as an individual so that wasn't an issue for me. Once I start to fly for $$ I may form an LLC or a DBA and then seek to amend my petition but I though that having the exemption in hand was the priority. When did you submit your petition? I see some being approved from June, some from August. Mine went in mid-August.

As for the registration for the N number...man all I could think of is how stupid can people be. It's a simple piece of paper with straightforward questions. Why in the world do people need so many copies of the application form?

Well, I found out the hard way and it took three weeks and three attempts but finally N596TS arrived. One trick i did learn is that when you send your application via Express Mail it gets processed much faster.

But again, I applied as an individual and not an LLC or a DBA

Andrew

Last edited:
I applied as an individual as well, and I also got everything (except Phantom receipt as well...) because I missed a few things, specs on the quad. The letter came with a phone number to call, so I called. Lady said the best thing to do was fill out form 8050-88, you can find it here:

Form AC 8050-88 - AFFIDAVIT OF OWNERSHIP FOR AMATEUR-BUILT AND OTHER NON-TYPE CERTIFICATED AIRCRAFT

I told her that the company that I got the Phantom from was REALLY not responsive, so the only "receipt" I had was the email from them with the order information. She said to do the best I could. I managed to get the city of the company, already knew the state... inserted that into the order email, and sent that. Hopefully it will work. If not it'll probably take me years to get an acceptable receipt, or bill-of-sale. Gonna be careful where I get my next quad...

By the way, you'll have to get the 8050-88 notarized. It's a PDF with forms, so it's easy to fill out...

I applied as an individual as well, and I also got everything (except Phantom receipt as well...) because I missed a few things, specs on the quad. The letter came with a phone number to call, so I called. Lady said the best thing to do was fill out form 8050-88, you can find it here:

Form AC 8050-88 - AFFIDAVIT OF OWNERSHIP FOR AMATEUR-BUILT AND OTHER NON-TYPE CERTIFICATED AIRCRAFT

I told her that the company that I got the Phantom from was REALLY not responsive, so the only "receipt" I had was the email from them with the order information. She said to do the best I could. I managed to get the city of the company, already knew the state... inserted that into the order email, and sent that. Hopefully it will work. If not it'll probably take me years to get an acceptable receipt, or bill-of-sale. Gonna be careful where I get my next quad...

By the way, you'll have to get the 8050-88 notarized. It's a PDF with forms, so it's easy to fill out...
I copied my receipt from Amazon and searched the internet for Amazon's corporate headquarter address - submitted w/ 8050-88 - FAA accepted both - I had more trouble getting the right information on the form but a call to the FAA helped fix that - I found notaries did not want to do an affidavit for some reason - but in the end I was issued an "N#"

I copied my receipt from Amazon and searched the internet for Amazon's corporate headquarter address - submitted w/ 8050-88 - FAA accepted both - I had more trouble getting the right information on the form but a call to the FAA helped fix that - I found notaries did not want to do an affidavit for some reason - but in the end I was issued an "N#"

Luckily I work with someone that's a notary. She did my first request, as well as my "official" 8050-88. It was funny... the lady that I talked with says "Didn't you get a 8050-88 form with the letter that was sent back to you?". Umm... nope.. So she laughed. She wasn't too thrilled about the proposed registration stuff, says they are getting swamped already...

Glad it worked out for you. I'll see what my verdict is in a few weeks..

Luckily I work with someone that's a notary. She did my first request, as well as my "official" 8050-88. It was funny... the lady that I talked with says "Didn't you get a 8050-88 form with the letter that was sent back to you?". Umm... nope.. So she laughed. She wasn't too thrilled about the proposed registration stuff, says they are getting swamped already...

Glad it worked out for you. I'll see what my very cs in a few weeks..
Its interesting how varied the interactions with the FAA are - i initially found an email address somewhere on the FAA website - sent an email asking how to register the P3 - got a reply saying forms will be mailed - a few days later I received 8050-1 forms - to register for a cost of $5 to get "N#" - a few weeks later i received a detailed letter from the FAA with the 8050-88 attached - I filled it out - a few weeks later I received a letter noting an error but no info on what to do - I called and got a very helpful person at the FAA - resent 8050-88 - couple of weeks later got a nondescript post card in the mail w/ my N# - now awaiting 333 Exemption -

My process was pretty much the same, except I didn't get the 8050-88 with the stuff that was sent back. Even the lady I spoke with wasn't sure why I didn't get them. I filled out a contact form on the FAA web site, asking for a copy of the form, got it within a week of the request. And I actually got 2 forms, I guess in case I messed one up. Wanna bet I still was VERY careful filling it out?? lol...

I dropped my revised info in the mail on Tuesday, so we'll see what happens...

Hmmmm... I just got back from the Washington DC FSDO, and when I told the lady there what I was trying to do, she just gave me the 8050-1. They are making this needlessly painful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4