FAA recommends registering drone pilots instead of individual drones

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
From the article...

For drones between 250 grams and 55 pounds, owners would only need to register the names and addresses of the pilots, instead of each individual drone, according to the task force's official report. Submitting things like email addresses, phone numbers and serial numbers would be purely optional. People choosing not to submit serial numbers, though, would have to mark their registration numbers somewhere on their devices that can be accessed without tools.

Owners would also have to be at least 13 years old, but a parent or guardian could register on behalf of younger individuals.

Another critical suggestion was that registration be free and handled via the Web, with owners getting a digital certificate unless they specifically ask for a paper copy. There would be no flight tests or training, though people might have to sign off on some safety and flying education.

The report was more ambiguous about penalties for unregistered drones, though the task force suggested they be "clear and proportionate" — avoiding the potentially severe punishments associated with full-sized aircraft.

Drones are now flown not only by the military but a growing number of other groups, ranging from hobbyists and filmmakers to rescue teams. Businesses like Amazon are exploring the idea of using drones for small deliveries, which could potentially see swarms of the devices flying over major cities.

A concern has been that without regulation, there could be serious problems with things like crashes, security and privacy concerns, and noise pollution.

SOURCE

Reactions: dirkclod
So, I guess they really don't want to find the drone owner when they see the offending aircraft flying. They will have only limited the list of persons of interest down to 2 million registered drone owners, assuming the real owner registered themselves. So your registration number fell off during flight, eh? How convenient. At least it wasn't attached in a safe place that would have required tools to access! :D

It's quite a challege they are facing. It will essentially boil down to voluntary compliance, as there will be so many ways that one can avoid or defeat whatever system they come up with, given the current technology of no transponders on the drones. Only the law abiding owners will comply. The problem pilots flying their homemade DIY rigs over airports, fires, and stadiums will just never register, and still won't be deterred or caught.:rolleyes: They are still looking for the rogue pilot of the "flying trash can" over LAX, reported in the pilot drone sightings compiled by the FAA! o_O

Reactions: JKDSensei
Yep they already have done so well registering guns and drug use as we can see. Oh and how well they have regulated spending our tax money... these guys are great! They need to come down to earth and open their eyes. You don't penalize the majority you educate the 10 % screwing up. What do they really expect registration to give them. What is the end result and what will it fix.... nothing and they have spent hundreds of thousands and for what.??????
I am 100 % for doing the right thing but I just see to much waste in the government and their being to quick just to bandaid it and spending big bucks and doing nothing. Look at the condition of this country and the billions wasted. I cold go on and on but it time to STOP ... isn't it Washington...

The DOT spokeshole last month basically admitted that this would not, in any way, solve the problem of not being able to see the pilot of the rogue drone they can see, because drones have no transponders. However, he hoped that this would help educate the new drone owners to prevent them from unknowingly flying over airports, fires, and stadiums, which were his three main concerns. Like the rogue pilots of the aircraft currently flying over airports, fires, and stadiums don't already know they aren't supposed to be there! :rolleyes:

This is a country where you can't sell lemonade without a permit. You need a permit for just about anything you can think of, try to hunt or fish in any lake that you don't own. Just 3 weeks ago I had to pay a government employee money just to go hiking in the middle of the desert, even that isn't free, the desert costs money!.

Go to Walmart or Target and you'll see tons of Star Wars drones over half a pound. No way any of those kids are going to register their drones.

Part of me think there are gov people who are waiting/hoping for something terrible to happen with a drone operator and an aircraft. So they can point their finger to that and say. See that is the reason we need rules for the million of the rest of you that didn't screw up. One stupid person did and now the rest will be under more government control.

I can't imagine a scenario where it would be at checkout like was mentioned because what about grandma & grandpa who buy little Jonny that drone he wants for Christmas? I am speculating that is will be more like the NYS hunting course for new hunters. It's a multi hour training course with a certificate at the end that allows new hunters to buy a hunting permit.

That is only the Task Force report. What the FAA will do is still a question.

The FAA probably had half of the final rule written before forming the Task Force. It was both a validation as well as a PR farce. I am still expecting to see the cutoff weight set to match what is being done in other countries and comply with ICAO rules say that an aircraft registered in an ICAO country may fly in other ICAO countries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj