FAA new rules

While this is mainly for commercial ventures I did find some interesting reading. I only skimmed it for now but here are a couple interesting sections...

Not surprisingly, they are interested in the additional revenue it will provide...
We determined that this proposed rule would: have benefits that would justify its costs;
would potentially have an economic impact of greater than $100 million per year in terms of
benefits (which might be derived from new small UAS businesses and applications) and thus
would be an economically “significant regulatory action” as defined in section 3(f) of Executive
Order 12866

I have not seen many personal, hobby type, non-military UAV's that are similar to military UAV's...
Traditionally, most small UAS were operated recreationally as model aircraft. This
pattern is changing because small UAS manufacturers are developing more sophisticated aircraft
based to a large extent on drones developed for military and government use.

fastsmiles said:
Is a renewal every two years really necessary? Seems like a short time period. :(

This applies to commercial endeavors so 2 years seems reasonable to me.

Does this apply to ALL drones under 55lbs or just COMMERCIAL use of drones under 55lbs? Can you do recreational flights without an operator license?

I'd like to see the price of the test/license drop to less than $50.

I'd like to see the 500ft ceiling only apply in controlled A-D airspace and known flight paths. If you're out in the boonies over 30km away from any airport or regularly traveled flight paths, the likelihood of encountering an aircraft is much, much less than the likelihood of a small aircraft encountering some sort of mechanical failure or a flock of geese or really anything else. Zipping up to 2000ft in those areas for a couple minutes is quite safe to you and others. The alternative of flying a real plane up to take the same photo at that altitude is orders of magnitude more arduous.

I'd also like to see the first person view video as a permissible means of visual contact/control.

I'd also like to see the night restrictions changed to line of sight IF there is NO FPV AND it has lights, or IF it has FPV it just needs lights. Or possibly have a night operator certificate.

It will not be exempt for commercial use. The FAA will no longer be requiring people to have a private pilot license though. Anyone who wants to fly commercially will be able to without too much pain.

On the FAA's website, i wonder what the "additional, more flexible framework..." Was suggesting:

"The proposed rule also includes extensive discussion of the possibility of an additional, more flexible framework for “micro” UAS under 4.4 pounds. The FAA is asking the public to comment on this possible classification to determine whether it should include this option as part of a final rule. The FAA is also asking for comment about how the agency can further leverage the UAS test site program and an upcoming UAS Center of Excellence to further spur innovation at “innovation zones.” "

clipshot62 said:
Heard on the natl news yesterday that it may take up to 2 more yrs to enact this Really?

Yep. That is how long the process takes. They have to open it for comments, then consider ALL of the comments, then make changes, review the changes, approve the changes, make notice of final rule and then, finally, publish the final rule. This one is expected to take a bit longer due to the large number of comments expected.

BTW - the FAA is not bound by any law or rule to change one comma of a proposed rule after receiving comments.

Re: FAA new rules Just a few questions

Hello All,
I don’t normally post on sights but… today I must!

I bought my Phantom in Jan of this year 2015. OMG do I love it! I am just on the edge of retirement so I’m old… ish.
I like what DJI has done with the No Fly Zones but I need more info.

I would like, to know were exactly, are the regulations referring to the Class C and B Airspace rules that indicate the gradual increase in operating altitude as DJI puts out.
I know DJI is a worldwide phenomenon and that seems to be the best word for it but I live in the USA so I’m mostly concerned with following the FAA rules.

I have read most of Section 91 and understand some of it. I’ve seen nothing that mentions the sliding or graduated height limitations.
(You know: 1.5 mile-35ft. and 5 miles-400ft.) I live in the Orlando Fl. area and I am also troubled by the omission of the Orlando Sanford Airport on the No Fly Zone Map.

I am very much aware of the FAA’s announcement yesterday (Feb 15 2015).
I wish to know the law as it reads and not just count on DJI… though I like what they are trying to do. If someone could show me the way, I would be in your debt.

Thx Dan DaMan

The DJI "No Fly" has absolutely zero to do with the FAA rules or anything else. DO NOT rely on that DJI database or programming to keep you from flying someplace you should not be flying. In addition, their designation of "classes" of airports has no correlation to how the FAA defines airspace.

DJI: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe

Here's a good graphic showing FAA airspace:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/F ... 0Chart.jpg

THis is a good guide to learn how to read FAA Sectional Charts:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_ ... ero_guide/

Thx for the quick reply.
Yes I know DJI was speaking with no set classes or terminology that the FAA would use… but I was.
I was just wondering where the idea of what that they were using, came from. Everything that I read
from the FAA was just a clear and easy to understand, don’t fly within 5 miles of an airport.
That’s easy for me to understand. But what they were saying, was seductive to say the least.
I am of the mind to know what, “ is” and not just what “I want it to be”.

So I guess I was asking “do you know where that idea came from or did they just pull it straight from their buts”?

Thx again, Dan DaMan.

If you are referring the the 'tiered' nature of the restrictions it is an adaptation of what controlled airspace looks like.

The higher you go the farther out from the airport the controlled space is.

Like an upside-down wedding cake.

Thx again for responding.
Perhaps you might teach this man to fish.

I am trying to figure out the restrictions for the Orlando Sanford Airport located at the bottom center of this pic.

http://expertaviator.com/wp-content/upl ... DtoSFB.jpg

I have been reading a lot from many different sights. I get some, but not all… or much.
I know its inverted wedding cake shape, but I am missing the details.
I Know the Purple T/SFC indicates its Class C airspace up to but not including the overlying class B airspace.

Something like this in Purple 40/SFC would indicate from surface up to 4000ft. but I don’t see that one in the Sanford inner circle. I see blue 100/30.
If anyone could help pin this down for me I hope to eat a steady diet of fish for a long time to come.

Thx, Dan DaMan.

oh... i get it.
it goes from surface to the bottom of the overhanging airspace from Orlando International B class but not including it.
You know I hear there is a lot of mercury in fish these days. :idea:

Thx Dan DaMan

Will the Phantom 2 with a GoPro qualify under the "Micro" category? The FAA draft rule says that a drone less than 4.4 pounds (a Phantom 2 with GoPro falls below 4 pounds) must also be made of "frangible" materials (eg. breakable plastic, paper, wood and foam) so it can break, distort or yield on impact and pose a minimal hazard of injury or property damage. Not sure if the unit, along with a metal GoPro, will pass the "Micro" test. Any insights?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj