FAA laws

Reaction score
I read one time that it is against the law to interfere with a drone pilot when he is flying. Also is it against the law to shoot down or damage a flying drone. If so what are these laws?

With a potential penalty of 20 years in prison!!

I have a "neighbor" several hundred feet North of me who is the only relatively distant neighbor who might take a shot at a drone even if it was far away from his property (and my Phantom 4 will be...). If he ever were to get his nose out of joint because I even own a "Drone", I would be sure to inform him that if he did take a shot (and did survive my own response, think "Game of Thrones" here), what the FAA's response might be. AND I'm very sure the up to 20 years in the Klink would be taken personally, as he's a Prison Guard....:D

IIRC aren't you required to stay at or above a certain amount above private property?
Nope, not in the US. YMMV in other countries.

Reactions: Falcon900
I refrain from fly over private property where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

While "technically" yes it's illegal I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on any legal enforcement on this. If your aircraft is shot down and you report it to the FAA they merely turn around and report it to the FBI. From there the FBI will investigate and determine if it's a crime worthy enough to justify the man-power to prosecute. Odds are it will NOT be and turned over to the lower courts to take care of it in a CIVIL court.

Don't get your hopes up that the FBI is going to go to battle for you over your toy grade UAS.

I read one time that it is against the law to interfere with a drone pilot when he is flying. Also is it against the law to shoot down or damage a flying drone. If so what are these laws?

If you truly fear this may be an issue you might encounter, I would consult with an attorney who would be familiar with case law in your jurisdiction. While a perpetrator may not be prosecuted under a federal statute, they could be cited for assault, harassment, or other charges stemming from interference with an operator, also potentially, destruction of property and in many jurisdictions it is a crime simply to discharge a firearm (e.g. within town limits, etc.); outside criminal charges there is civil litigation which has its own standards which could potentially come into play.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07

Laws differ and the world is a big place. Are your inquiring about one particular location?

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik