FAA investigating drone flight near Albany (NY) Airport

Reaction score
On Saturday, two planes reported seeing a drone at the same altitude as their aircraft was they were coming into Albany International Airport. They were two miles out and at 1000 ft. Police were sent to investigate, but no sign of the drone or it's operator were found. Now it's in the FAA's hands.

The news report (WGNA, see also Times Unon, Daily Gazette) say the drone was seen over a hotel located on a busy commercial strip. I work near that airport and there is a town park close by that hotel. I'm guessing that the operator was flying his drone from the park and just wanted to see how high it would go.

Because someone was flying too high, I wouldn't be surprised if the town explicitly bans drones from the town parks.

Two golden rules for hobby fliers broken again. Never seems to end. A few more of these, or a real disaster and everyone will be grounded. Sad that people don't consider possible casualties and/or consequences of their own stupidity.

Yup. Is this not why DJI is implementing its own NFZs, etc. in an attempt to intervene before they can only be flown at traditional r/c airstrips?

Bummer! I live near Saratoga. It's getting harder and harder to find local places to fly that have any visual interest because of these idiots. Did you see that someone was fined for flying in the Adirondack Park because now the Park Rangers consider quadcopters "motorized vehicles" and there is a no motorized vehicle rule.

No problem.....it will be illegal to fly without a 107. It really should be already......

No problem.....it will be illegal to fly without a 107. It really should be already......
It's already illegal to do a lot of things, yet these things are still done on a regular basis. You cannot legislate common sense or good behavior. The fact that drone technology has dropped so significantly in price and almost anyone can afford one now (and the fact that I notice people with Phantom 4's and other $1000 drones ask questions that they should already know the answers to if they read any kind of manual) only means that these incidents will increase until something bad happens, and then all of us who already follow the rules will be further restricted by the government.

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
It's already illegal to do a lot of things, yet these things are still done on a regular basis. You cannot legislate common sense or good behavior. The fact that drone technology has dropped so significantly in price and almost anyone can afford one now (and the fact that I notice people with Phantom 4's and other $1000 drones ask questions that they should already know the answers to if they read any kind of manual) only means that these incidents will increase until something bad happens, and then all of us who already follow the rules will be further restricted by the government.

$10,000 fine and publicity will stop a lot of the behavior. Warning on the drone boxes about fines and restrictions on selling drones to minors will help get it started. The industry needs to be pro-active, IMO

And yet there are many who applaud their videos...I don't get it. I was raised to play by the rules (the USMC had something to do with that too). That way I stay out of trouble and show respect for my fellow citizens. Doesn't seem to be much of that around these days.

Bummer! I live near Saratoga. It's getting harder and harder to find local places to fly that have any visual interest because of these idiots. Did you see that someone was fined for flying in the Adirondack Park because now the Park Rangers consider quadcopters "motorized vehicles" and there is a no motorized vehicle rule.
You have any good places to fly out near you? I'm in Slingerlands and I've flown at Thacher Park without being hassled.

Self regulate or be regulated, the FAA will make a move if this continues.
It is my belief DJI is cooperating in an attempt to restore self regulation.
Unfortunately their are always those who just don't care, rules are made to be broken.

You have any good places to fly out near you? I'm in Slingerlands and I've flown at Thacher Park without being hassled.
Some, but I've been to most of them at least once. Fish Creek at the north end of Saratoga Lake, you can fly from the state launch ramp. North end of Sacandaga has some scenic spots. Some areas around Lake George. I also go up into the southern Adirondacks, especially in the fall for the colors. A few friends have flown over Saratoga Race Track -in the off season - I wouldn't do it this time of year.

Reactions: anotherlab

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan