FAA Facility Maps (LAANC Grids)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This comes up a LOT and we need to do a PSA to all FAA UAS operators. On the UAS Facility Maps (LAANC Grids) there are boxes with a # in it (0 - 400). Some people mistakenly think this is the "allowed altitude by default" for that grid section. This is NOT the case. The altitude listed is the MAX altitude you will most likely get approval if you submit a request via LAANC. This is a mere shortcut so that you don't ask for 300' in a 100' location (it will get denied).

Any and EVERY flight inside of Controlled Airspace must be pre-authorized before the UAS takes off. This would be done via LAANC if it's available and your request is "normal". If it's outside of the listed altitude you'll have to submit a manual request via the FAA Drone Zone portal.

It's also important to know that not EVERY submission gets approval even if less than the noted altitude. An active airport is a very DYNAMIC area and things like Emergencies, Military Operations, VIP Activity, Maintenance, and Equipment Failures can alter normal traffic etc and a seemingly simple and routine request CAN get denied.

You can submit a request for 300' in a 100' location through LAANC (I was told by the FAA that they don't want you to use Drone Zone if it is a LAANC covered area. They complained about it when I did it). I have to do it a lot (you have to give them 48 hours for special review, but you still get the response through LAANC). The one I got yesterday was for a 0 altitude zone and took about 14 hours.

You can submit a request for 300' in a 100' location through LAANC (I was told by the FAA that they don't want you to use Drone Zone if it is a LAANC covered area. They complained about it when I did it). I have to do it a lot (you have to give them 48 hours for special review, but you still get the response through LAANC). The one I got yesterday was for a 0 altitude zone and took about 14 hours.

In SOME cases yes but it all depends on how the local "system" has their defaults set up. Some airports will give an immediate Denial if the requested altitude is above the grid height.

Yes we need to utilize LAANC if possible but there are many times with it's denied or outside of what LAANC offers and that's when we utilize Drone Zone.

Allen
FAA Safety Team Representative (Charlotte NC Region)

Robport, I'd sure appreciate some tips on what info. you include in your LANNC requests for authorization to fly in a 0 altitude area. I've been rejected each time (I've used KittyHawk to submit the request) (even though the particular aspects of where I'm asking to fly (on top of a hill adjacent to an runway with multiple cell towers on the top of the hill that are taller than the height I'm requesting to fly at) make it impossible that there would ever be any traffic that I could interfere with). Since the rejection provides no info. on why, I don't know what to do differently....

I too would like to know how to request authorization to fly at any altitude in a 0' grid section at a UAS facility, especially when it is not LAANC-ready according to the map I am looking at. A client has requested images of a school located in that grid section. I am not about to travel for several hours to get to the site only to find out that it will take an additional day or two to get FAA authorization. Also, what is the preferred method of advising ATC and local air traffic of the operations in this scenario?

I too would like to know how to request authorization to fly at any altitude in a 0' grid section at a UAS facility, especially when it is not LAANC-ready according to the map I am looking at. A client has requested images of a school located in that grid section. I am not about to travel for several hours to get to the site only to find out that it will take an additional day or two to get FAA authorization. Also, what is the preferred method of advising ATC and local air traffic of the operations in this scenario?

I'd just go and file through Drone Zone. It will probably get approved anywhere from within the same day to a week. Note they always advise me to request as little deviation from the advertised restriction as possible. And depending on how close you are to the airport the drone manufacture (DJI) may restrict you via GEO Fencing. And with that my friend you'll need to unlock that through a computer or laptop ahead of time also. Sending them a pdf of FAA Authorization. They won't let you use your iPad or phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers