FAA delay until 2017??

that BLOWS! Last we heard the new regs were due first half of this year

Govenment has no incentive to do anything therefore delay, delay, delay. Nice work if you can get it. Up in the ivory tower...
In the meantime every day hundreds of more drones are purchased and flown.
By 2017 the sky will be thick with these things and the FAA will be powerless to control it by then.

russianfront said:
Govenment has no incentive to do anything therefore delay, delay, delay. Nice work if you can get it. Up in the ivory tower...
By 2017 the sky will be thick with these things and the FAA will be powerless to control it by then.

I mentioned that line of thinking to the FAA person, and you would think that alone would be reason enough to get it together....

BTW, Final rules might be a ways off, but the PROPOSED rules should be soon.... according to the FAA person at CES, they were the assistant to the big cheese apparently. They will release their proposed rules, there will be a public comment period, then probably a few months before they will finalize them and more months to start to "enforce them. so hopefully a little while to see what they are thinking at least.... but a ways off until it's final...

To add to what Cactus said, the NPRM is in the hands of the White House for review.

From: http://www.lawblogs.net/go/uas-now-is-the-time-to-educate-policymakers
Under Executive Order 12866, before any significant regulatory action takes effect, it first must go through a review process at OIRA at the White House. OIRA is located within the Office of Management and Budget, which is within the Executive Office of the President. It is commonly said that OIRA is the most important agency in Washington, DC that nobody has heard of: OIRA reviews draft regulations before they are implemented and conducts cost/benefit analyses to determine whether the benefits of a rule would justify the costs. OIRA is currently reviewing the FAA’s NPRM on Small UAS (sUAS). After its review, OIRA will send comments back to FAA before FAA issues the NPRM.

The period for OIRA review is limited by Executive Order 12866 to 90 days. Under the Executive Order, the review period may be extended indefinitely by the head of the rulemaking agency; alternatively, the OMB Director may extend the review period on a one-time basis for no more than 30 days. According to OIRA, the average review period is 53 days. OIRA received the FAA’s sUAS rule for review on October 25, 2014 – so the review could take three months, or more or less, from that date.

I watched the last FAA hearings. In the meeting I remember it was said 2017 or longer. As slow moving as they have been I don't expect things to be settled by then at least from them.

CactusJackSlade said:
russianfront said:

I mentioned that line of thinking to the FAA person, and you would think that alone would be reason enough to get it together....

BTW, Final rules might be a ways off, but the PROPOSED rules should be soon.... according to the FAA person at CES, they were the assistant to the big cheese apparently. They will release their proposed rules, there will be a public comment period, then probably a few months before they will finalize them and more months to start to "enforce them. so hopefully a little while to see what they are thinking at least.... but a ways off until it's final...

Exactly. The 2017 date is for the approval of the FINAL Rule. FAA expects record numbers of comments and anticipate that it will take a good bit of time to get to the point of a final Rule.

CactusJackSlade said:
I just want to know what they are thinking..... even in general, been waiting 9 years personally

9 years?? IIRC this effort was started formally in 2008 with the formation of the sUAS ARC. They gave us a first glimpse on April Fool's Day 2009 with the release of their recommendations to the FAA. But I agree, this process takes too long. Sadly I believe the FAA when they say things are going as fast as possible, which only points out how screwed up the process really is!!

What is it that the FAA are meant to do? Change the rules on manning UAV's?

CactusJackSlade said:
I just want to know what they are thinking..... even in general, been waiting 9 years personally
It took ten years from the first Advisory Circular to the implementation of FAR Part 103 for ultralight aircraft.
The AOPA and EAA have been petitioning the FAA for six years to drop the Class 3 medical certificate from the private pilots requirements.
Small UAV rules are right on schedule.

SilentAV8R said:
Sadly I believe the FAA when they say things are going as fast as possible, which only points out how screwed up the process really is!!
Lawyers plus Politicians plus well-funded lobbyists, what could go wrong?

SilentAV8R said:
CactusJackSlade said:

9 years?? IIRC this effort was started formally in 2008 with the formation of the sUAS ARC. They gave us a first glimpse on April Fool's Day 2009 with the release of their recommendations to the FAA. But I agree, this process takes too long. Sadly I believe the FAA when they say things are going as fast as possible, which only points out how screwed up the process really is!!

I was flying with cameras in 2005 and really started the FPV and shooting digital stills in 2006.... we could only record the downlink back then if you wanted video... here is an example - keep in mind this was in MEXICO and the helicopter buzzed the beach as I was doing a 360.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utL4XNpxu1g

RCAPA was just getting talked about and then formed in 2007 or so.... and they started talks with the FAA back then. I was just in the sidelines, waiting and watching for something to happen.... now here we are, still waiting and watching! :shock:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.