FAA commercial exemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hoping someone can give me a very simple answer that would be much appreciated.
To fly up 100 feet take a couple of pictures and charge for it do I have to have a private pilots license along with my FAA exemption? I just can't seem to find an explanation that I can understand.
Thanks

You need a 333 exemption, any of the manned aircraft licenses, and you'll need to follow the slew of other rules that the FAA adds in your approved 333 exemption.

It is my understanding that if it is a hobby only with no profit it just needs the new FAA number, if it is for profit you need the whole shebang.

Reactions: Jahbass
I
You need a 333 exemption, any of the manned aircraft licenses, and you'll need to follow the slew of other rules that the FAA adds in your approved 333 exemption.
i read an application that was about 24 pages long. Seems excessive when I know there are many safe and excellent drone pilots that don't have the time money or interest in learning how to fly an airplane. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
haver

I i read an application that was about 24 pages long. Seems excessive when I know there are many safe and excellent drone pilots that don't have the time money or interest in learning how to fly an airplane.
Agreed on both points. However, it is what it is.

The FAA is working on new UAS rules that include a new "operator" license. It won't required flying a manned aircraft to obtain it. The new rules will hopefully be finalized next year. There really is no telling when they will be out though.

What is the private pilot requirements. Does your license have to be current with a medical. I have/had a private pilot license, rotorcraft rating. Been a while since have flown. Wonder if I would qualify for a 333 exemption.

What is the private pilot requirements.
I'm assuming your license must be active -- meaning you can go out and fly a manned aircraft. You should contact the FAA if you need further clarification on that.

What is the private pilot requirements. Does your license have to be current with a medical. I have/had a private pilot license, rotorcraft rating. Been a while since have flown. Wonder if I would qualify for a 333 exemption.

Yes, that will work. Your pilot license never expires. Medical not required, unless you start flying a "real" airplane again.

Agreed on both points. However, it is what it is.

The FAA is working on new UAS rules that include a new "operator" license. It won't required flying a manned aircraft to obtain it. The new rules will hopefully be finalized next year. There really is no telling when they will be out though.

Wonder if we can barter legally. A bottle of fine wine in trade for a picture.

It is my understanding that if it is a hobby only with no profit it just needs the new FAA number, if it is for profit you need the whole shebang.
you are correct if it is for profit you need pilots license, it's like being a brain surgeon to apply a Band-Aid

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
Yes, that will work. Your pilot license never expires. Medical not required, unless you start flying a "real" airplane again.

You also need a flight review (every 2 years) with an instructor and must show that you can fly an aircraft you are rated for. So you will need some ground school and actually fly the aircraft.

I'm in a VARY HEATED DISCUSSION with a Friend who is a Licensed pilot,He Will not believe me that you have to have a pilots license to fly a drone for profit what is the FAA section that I could quote to him.

I'm in a VARY HEATED DISCUSSION with a Friend who is a Licensed pilot,He Will not believe me that you have to have a pilots license to fly a drone for profit what is the FAA section that I could quote to him.
Look up "333 exemption".

Wonder if we can barter legally. A bottle of fine wine in trade for a picture.
Obviously, the FAA isn't going to come at you for stuff like that. But, according to the regs, it's not legal. What might get you into trouble if you started a business and somebody else who went through the hassle to get a 333 exemption called the FAA and the FAA actually went ahead and did something. Not bloody likely if you keep a low profile. But it's not legal.

Bummer. Although I am a licensed pilot I fail to qualify it seems as I am not current for my class. Current drivers license is good in lieu of a current medical but from what I read you have to be up to date regarding another FAR.

You may be compensated for your expenses only. No profit. How you'd argue that if you got into any trouble .... I wouldn't want to be in a court having that discussion. I'm a pro photog and retoucher and I'll participate with my phantom as a hobbies until new operator licenses are made for drones. I welcome a sensible educated license for commercial operation... The rules as written right now make no logical sense.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah, without a medical you can qualify as a sport pilot , DL and 333 exemption along with a current BFR.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20