FAA 333 Exemption Question- Already hold Private Pilot's License

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a question concerning flying a drone for profit. If I'm already a private pilot, what exactly do I need to do to comply with the FAA rules on flying a drone for profit? I would like to take photographs for real estate agents and home owners in my area for a fee.

Someone told me previously to not charge for flying the drone but the editing of the photographs. Is that a loop hole or asking for trouble?

What is the best way to comply with the FAA to take aerial photos for profit while already holding a pilot's license?

Thanks.

Someone told me previously to not charge for flying the drone but the editing of the photographs. Is that a loop hole or asking for trouble?
There are no loopholes. That might be a good way to lose your pilot license though. The FAA giveth... and taketh away. Be careful taking advice from people who don't want to follow the rules.

What is the best way to comply with the FAA to take aerial photos for profit while already holding a pilot's license?
Get a 333 exemption and follow the slew of rules the FAA includes in your approved exemption.

This guy explains the process accurately:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hey guys. I have a question concerning flying a drone for profit. If I'm already a private pilot, what exactly do I need to do to comply with the FAA rules on flying a drone for profit? I would like to take photographs for real estate agents and home owners in my area for a fee.

Thanks.
Here are a few links:

How to file for a 333 exemption

Previously granted exemptions and docs

Pending exemption requests (filtered by Phantom 3) and docs

Keep in mind that flying the drone (it is within FAA AirSpace) could very well put your PPL in jeopardy because that gives them much more "weight" over you. Since you know the rules etc you are expected to abide by them.

As stated above, There are no loopholes. Each one has been deeply addressed by the FAA regardless what the arm-chair aviation attorneys tell you. At the end of the day its your money and your PPL on the line so keep that in mind.

Or you could just wait for CFR 14 Part 107 to be approved and there will be no need for 333 exemptions and to hold a commercial pilot's license. From what I have read it will be around June/July 2016 when it becomes affective.

Reactions: FlyBoyNC
Or you could just wait for CFR 14 Part 107 to be approved and there will be no need for 333 exemptions and to hold a commercial pilot's license. From what I have read it will be around June/July 2016 when it becomes affective.

Yes. That would be nice.

How does flying a drone compare to flying a plane? Go to Drone Law. Com for the latest skinny.
There is absolutely zero correlation between those two but a Pilot Certification is the only way to fullfil the requirements set forth in the FAR's for operating any aircraft in NAS and getting the required training in FARs, Wx, ATC, National AirSpace and the other needed items you would learn in Ground School to get your Pilot Certification.

It's not about "being able to fly a Cessna 172" at all but everything about understanding rules, regulations and National AirSpace.

Here is my recommendation.

Before filing for any 333 exemption I would recommend reading the entire Part 107 proposal to see if what is outlined there fits with your specific needs. If you google Part 107 two choices will come up. 1 will be the overview which is 2 pages long and tells you about what is going to happen with Part 107 and the other will be the 195 page or so full Part 107. Find and download the complete Part 107, read through it, see what it will do and not do. Then base your decision off what you have read.

Some of the stuff in it says you will be able to fly in Class B, C and D airspace with approval of the ATC, not needing to be a commercial or private pilot to fly a drone, taking a FAA certification test to become a licensed UAS operator. And many more interesting pieces of information.

Just my recommendation. I have chosen my path to follow based on what I read in Part 107.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Unfortunately the FAA overstepped its boundaries of the FMRA of 2012. That's why I suggested he go to Dronelaw.com and get the real facts. There's so much misinterpretation of what the FAA can and cannot do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31