F550, increasing flight times????

Reaction score
So I have a F550 average weight. Tarot gimbal, GoPro, 5000mah battery, IOSd mini, DJI 2212/920KV motors. It flies really well. I am simply not getting the flight time I want or need. I am getting around 5 minutes before the LED starts blinking and I bring it in. I have the gains set at 175% as before the gains were way low and causing unstable flights and hard landings.
With all of that even if I have to move to a better system I want more time to fly. 10 minutes and 15 in my dreams. I could add another battery but that would add weight and I would lose some stability. So all of these great YouTube videos with people flying the copters long ways out how in the heck do they get the flight times to do it.
First where is a good place to put the low voltage settings? I almost lost it once when it went into auto landing over water. By the way I use Turnigy batteries that came in some wheeling and dealing. Maybe there old and need replaced?
Tips and suggestions welcomed.

How many mAh are you putting back in to your battery once you land? Your low voltage warnings are probably set too high. Lower them by 0.1V and then fly again until the warning. Keep checking how many mAh you're putting back in to your cells and lowering the warnings by 0.1V until you get to 80% (20% remaining). Then you have your correct figures.
Also, you don't say if you're running 3S or 4S. I would recommend running 4S if you want log flight times with the F550.

If still flying 3S, set your voltage settings to the following:

First Level 11.30v, Loss .50 Loaded 10.80v
Second Level 11:00.v, Loss .50 Loaded 10.50v.

This should give you a little bit more flying time.

I don't fly 4S but I've heard very good positive thing about it in regards to increased flight times.
I'm currently using Onyx 3S 6400 mAh 35C and I'm getting a solid 8:30 minutes. When I throw my lipo back on the charger I have 30% lipo remaining. My birds weighs in at 2480 grams.

FangsCPO said:

I don't fly 4S but I've heard very good positive thing about it in regards to increased flight times.
I'm currently using Onyx 3S 6400 mAh 35C and I'm getting a solid 8:30 minutes. When I throw my lipo back on the charger I have 30% lipo remaining. My birds weighs in at 2480 grams.

I am using the 4s. I will try the suggestions. Thanks for all of the help....

cosmonaut said:
FangsCPO said:

I am using the 4s. I will try the suggestions. Thanks for all of the help....
those settings are for 3S!!.....but follow the same theory for 4S

Thanks for the help I am slowly getting there. I have lowered the level some. I plan a project where I will be flying over water a lot and I want to get it ironed out before I get real serious.
The last time out this weekend I was getting 4:30 and 5:00 flight times and my voltage was around 15 volts at landing. I think I need to drop it a little more.

FangsCPO said:

Can you send me a link to the 6400mah battery? I am having a hard time finding one with that high of a mah.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj